Super Strat for Under $1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Strat for Under $1000?

It's getting to that time of the year where my wallet expands itself by a good $1200, or this case ~$2000 if I manage to sell a couple of my guitars. I'm looking for a new guitar that will do, pretty much everything for under $1000, so I can use the rest to arrange a few pedals.

My eyes are currently set on the Ibanez RG1451 Prestige

Here are my main Requirements:

-No floating Trem
    -Made in Japan(or any other trust worthy place)
    -HSH, 1 Volume, 1 Tone. or HH, preferably
    -Will play metal, jazz, and everything in between
    -Preferably stock with Duncans or EMGs, or an Ibanez
    -Good quality wood, not over 10 pounds
    -24 Frets

That's really it, I'm mainly looking at Ibanez RGs, because I've heard a lot of great things about them. Also, concerning the Ibanez RG, would I be able to get a pickguard made for a Fender Strat to fit on it?
    sigpic

Re: Super Strat for Under $1000?

i like the charvels. amazing necks but only 22 frets.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
      i like the charvels. amazing necks but only 22 frets.

I love the Charvels too, but OP said no floating trem.
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I did check out the Dreamcicle, but one Volume knob, a single coil, and a humbucker aren't really going to give me what I'm specifically looking for, in what is currently going to be my only guitar.
        sigpic

Comment

You won't find an RG with a bend down only trem. The old ones are good, of course, especially with the Edge/Lo-Pro. Scratchplates are different too, but you can buy an RG one on evil bay any time.

If you can find an '86 Roadstar in HH or HSH (they came in H, HSS, and SSS too), they're great guitars, and can be had for $200-500 depending on the condition. These guitars are the ancestors of the RG and specs are quite similar - basswood body, maple/rosewood neck. They have non recessed trems, but only 22 frets. Yet, the trem on these guitars doesn't rest on the body as its baseplate isn't flat like an OFR; depending on the setup, it's 2-3mm off the body. Of course, if you're finnicky about that, you can just install a block inside so the trem comes to rest against it when in neutral position.

There are also Roadstar Deluxes, which came in HH, and had 24 frets. If you can find one, that is...

I have a Proline, which is the next rung up - ebony board, alder body. Really versatile guitar with the two mode switching.

I don't know how big a deal it is to you, but all this is before the aanj - I personally find it hard to hit the 24th fret on the old RGs with the square heel; 22 is manageable.
          Originally posted by dominus
          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Jackson SL1t or SL2t
            I'm just here for the pr0n.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
              You won't find an RG with a bend down only trem.
              RG 650 would work, or add a Tremel No.
              -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
              “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

one of these
                the image is the link
                the guys at Floyd upgrades , you know the guys with the brass tremblocks have
                one for 20 bucks or something

2 screws and
                suddenly dive only

EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                  RG 650 would work, or add a Tremel No.
                  Hmm, didn't know about these. I always thought that the really cheapo Ibanezes (Gio, 100/200 series) came with non-locking vintage/2 point trems.

I just remembered those new X series Jacksons - neck through, Duncan Designed or EMG pups; don't know how much they are though. The now defunct DK2M is also good - real Duncans (Jazz/JB). All these have recessed trems though.
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                    I love the Charvels too, but OP said no floating trem.
                    Charvels are not floating, they are flush mount.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

A Strat-type floating vibrato can be made almost entirely "dive-only" by installing extra springs and/or cranking down the claw.

Personally, I would look for an assembled Warmoth guitar on E-Bay, Strat style with 24 frets and hopefully a universal ("swimming pool") rout, and put a Super Vee vibrato in it. You will get a very good bang for the buck buying a Warmoth on the used market, rather than a low-to-mid-range factory-built shredder guitar. That vibrato is a modification, which I know you said you don't want to do, but it is about as harmless and simple a modification as there is for what it gives you in return. It's not a Floyd-like modification. The vibrato is expensive, but with your budget, and the deal you will get on a used Warmoth, you can just consider it part of the cost of the guitar.

My two cents.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Find a good tech and build

Comment

LTD MH 1000?
                          Originally posted by grumptruck
                          No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                          Originally posted by Gear Used
                          PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                          Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                          Mesa Stiletto Ace
                          Gurus 5015
                          Mesa Widebody 1X12
                          Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by Maz View Post
                            It's getting to that time of the year where my wallet expands itself by a good $1200, or this case ~$2000 if I manage to sell a couple of my guitars. I'm looking for a new guitar that will do, pretty much everything for under $1000, so I can use the rest to arrange a few pedals.

My eyes are currently set on the Ibanez RG1451 Prestige

Here are my main Requirements:

-No floating Trem
                            -Made in Japan(or any other trust worthy place)
                            -HSH, 1 Volume, 1 Tone. or HH, preferably
                            -Will play metal, jazz, and everything in between
                            -Preferably stock with Duncans or EMGs, or an Ibanez
                            -Good quality wood, not over 10 pounds
                            -24 Frets

That's really it, I'm mainly looking at Ibanez RGs, because I've heard a lot of great things about them. Also, concerning the Ibanez RG, would I be able to get a pickguard made for a Fender Strat to fit on it?

+

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post

+

+1 I have this combo, and it kicks serious @ss for the price. Tremol-no is very useful.
                              My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                              The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                              Originally posted by CTN
                              I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                              FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Working...
                              X