Birthday Guitar search...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday Guitar search...

A couple of weeks ago I posted a poll to try and help me decide on my 40th Birthday guitar. I'll probably end up buying it in the new year once I've saved up enough money.

I am looking for a more 'Gibson-like' tone as I already have a Strat-type and a Tele.

Today I tried some guitars in Coda Music, about 20 mins away from where I live.

I first tried a Gibson SG 60's Tribute, with P-90's. A very nice sounding guitar, very vibrant and resonant. I liked the tone of the P-90's, especially when I compared them to the buckers in an SG Standard. The Standard seemed a little 'stiff' in comparison, but still nice tones. The Standard also had coil-splits, which I thought were a useful addition. There was quite a big drop off in output with the splits engaged, although that could've been cos I was playing at quite a low amp volume.

The trouble is, while I love the look and tone of SG's, I always have the same problem playing them. I'm so used to the way Fenders sit on a strap, I seem to be chasing the neck on the SG. It sits far to far across to my left, and my hands don't feel right.

I then tried the Les Paul 60's Tribute, again with the p-90's. That little guitar plain out rocked. Nice fat tones with that bit of P-90 grit. Again very vibrant. The only thing I find with Lesters is the lack of access to the top frets, but the tone was great.

With that in mind, I thought I'd try a Yamaha SG2000. LP type construction (although the SG2000 has a neck through rather than set neck) with SG access. I really wanted to like this as it ticked a lot of boxes, plus it had the addition of coil splits too. However it felt very heavy, and just didn't have the liveliness of the Gibsons. I've heard a lot of great things about the Yammies, and have been looking at the 80's ones (this was a brand new one) but I came away a little disappointed.

Out of the 4, my favourite was the LP 60's Tribute, followed by the SG 60's Tribute. Perhaps I'm just more of a P-90 guy.

Anyway, a fun way to spend the afternoon, and more food for thought...

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Re: Birthday Guitar search...

I have the same problem with SGs. I hate the way the first fret feels like it's a mile from your body. This can be easily solved by moving the strap button from it's regular position up to the top horn. Makes it feel a million times better and can also cure some of the neck-heaviness that plagues certain SGs. It feels like a totally different and much, much more comfortable guitar.

Whether you'd want to go drilling into a brand new guitar is your call, though. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem doing it but I can totally understand why some wouldn't want to.

Sounds like a fun day, though. At least you don't have to rush a decision. Just sit back and enjoy the hunt.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Hey Stevie, how about a PRS single cut? I really like the look of the Korina ones although I've never played one. I know what you mean about the Yamahas, they do take some getting used to that's for sure but well worth the effort. Those GS Graduates look real nice too!

Comment

I love SG's (LP's too for that matter), and wouldn't pass one up just because of the neck-dive issue. I just don't see that there's that much to do once you've got a guitar stapped on. I automatically keep my left hand on the neck, and use my right hand to turn a knob on an amp or pick up a drink. Probably not a good idea to being using both hands to do things with a 3 foot piece of wood swinging around your neck, even without the neck-dive issue. They get banged up that way, both the guitar and anything it crashes into. I just do the stuff that takes two hands before I put a guitar on. I don't see it as a problem.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

^^ He didn't mention neck dive. I did. He was talking about the feel of the guitar in general.
          I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
            ^^ He didn't mention neck dive. I did. He was talking about the feel of the guitar in general.
            It just comes up frequently when SG's are mentioned. I just don't see guys wearing guitars and driving or operating heavy machinery, or whatever else that requires both hands. Relocating a strap pin will definitely hurt the resale value of a guitar.
            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Yeah, it was more about the playing position of the SG.

Don, I haven't tried the PRS SE Singlecut yet, but I'd like to give it a try, as well as some of the Gordon-Smiths. I did try a PRS Starla unplugged a little while back and that was seriously nice, but well beyond my budget unfortunately...

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                It just comes up frequently when SG's are mentioned. I just don't see guys wearing guitars and driving or operating heavy machinery, or whatever else that requires both hands.
                It's certainly an inconvenience and, depending on your playing style, it can be pretty uncomfortable. Just because you don't personally have an issue with it doesn't mean that it's not an issue.

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                Relocating a strap pin will definitely hurt the resale value of a guitar.
                Unimportant to a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                  Yeah, it was more about the playing position of the SG.

Don, I haven't tried the PRS SE Singlecut yet, but I'd like to give it a try, as well as some of the Gordon-Smiths. I did try a PRS Starla unplugged a little while back and that was seriously nice, but well beyond my budget unfortunately...
                  Yeah, sorry I did mean the PRS SE Korina although some of the Standard SE's look fantastic too!

Comment

I have to say, the Goldtop 60's Tribute Les Paul looks really nice...

Comment

There are a few older Yamaha SGs on Ebay UK at the moment. They are as good as they say, excellent sustain. I recently got this '82 SBG2000

Haven't played a LP or SG Tribute as I'm left handed and no one stocks them, I have had a good look at a few right handed ones and wasn't impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                        I have to say, the Goldtop 60's Tribute Les Paul looks really nice...
                        Yeah, I love em!! And I was NEVER a p90 guy.. til now......
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                        X