Gibson neck shapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson neck shapes

Im a fan of the 60s necks... The 50s feels too fat and Im still out on the asymetrical necks. Is there really any difference tonally between them? How do you feel about the asym necks? Are they easily adaptable?
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Gibson neck shapes

Thicker neck = thicker tone.

Comment

i think a thicker neck sounds better to me but if you cant play it as well then it doesnt really matter. im not a big fan of the asymetrical necks

Comment

Gibson necks are really confusing to most people because the way they name them when compared to sizes can be confusing.

That said I do personally feel like the bigger the neck the bigger the tone will be which is fine for me because I find myself comfortable wiht the biggest necks I can get my hands on!
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thicker is always better.
          Custom neck-thru strat
          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
          1995 PRS CE24
          D'avanzo #8
          Breedlove Solo Concert
          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
            Thicker is always better.
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
            I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

Well, alright...
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Because women don't enjoy girth.
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I like the 50's neck myself. The asymmetrical profile is nice. The Slim 60's profile is on my SG Jr (though not a Gibson guitar) and my SG Classic has an "in between" profile that feels perfect to me. I'm able to adapt pretty well now. In the past I couldn't do it so easily.

Comment

In all seriousness, even though I dig and can easily play both size necks the bigger neck does seem to impart a bigger tone overall.
                    -Mike-

I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

I was trying out ES 339's just the other day. One had a '50s neck, the other the 60/30 (modified) '60s profile. I couldn't tell much difference in the tone, but initially I thought the '50s neck was huge and uncomfortable (I'm used to a strat). However, after I played it for a while, I could see myself getting used to it in short order, and even though it was thick, it felt nice. So if the consensus is the tone improves with the size of the neck, I'd probably go with the '50s, because I think you'd get used to it in a day or two.

Comment

Get used to a fat neck and try to go back though.

Comment

Once you go fat, you can never go back??

I could parlay this into a previous life experience unrelated to guitars, but
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I apprec all the input! Its intimidating wondering if you can adapt to something . I know i like the 60s. Would be cool to be able to spend time with a 50s or Asym (long enough to adapt and not just 10min at GC). I like the idea of bigger tone, but if we dont bond....

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by voggin View Post
                              I was trying out ES 339's just the other day. One had a '50s neck, the other the 60/30 (modified) '60s profile. I couldn't tell much difference in the tone, but initially I thought the '50s neck was huge and uncomfortable (I'm used to a strat). However, after I played it for a while, I could see myself getting used to it in short order, and even though it was thick, it felt nice. So if the consensus is the tone improves with the size of the neck, I'd probably go with the '50s, because I think you'd get used to it in a day or two.
                              What is a 60/30 (modified) '60s profile?
                              -Mike-

Comment

Working...
                              X