Purple <3 fretboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple <3 fretboard

What do you use to condition a purpleheart fretboard? I know there's been several threads about rosewood & maple fretboards, but I can't think of any about purpleheart. I have a bass and guitar both with purpleheart fretboards. They look dry, but I don't know much about purpleheart. I know it's a hard wood. Is it more like ebony or rosewood?

I think I've read that purpleheart changes color over time too. Is that true? What color does it turn? I just want to make sure everything's okay with my fretboards. Thanks in advance!

Re: Purple &lt;3 fretboard

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
    I have a bass and guitar both with purpleheart fretboards.
    you know the rule, pictures or it doesn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
      lol he's right you know!
      our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
      'Cause all the girls are sluts,
      And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
        What do you use to condition a purpleheart fretboard? I know there's been several threads about rosewood & maple fretboards, but I can't think of any about purpleheart. I have a bass and guitar both with purpleheart fretboards. They look dry, but I don't know much about purpleheart. I know it's a hard wood. Is it more like ebony or rosewood?

I think I've read that purpleheart changes color over time too. Is that true? What color does it turn? I just want to make sure everything's okay with my fretboards. Thanks in advance!
        Tung Oil. Tung Oil is an excellent UV protectant, and will help the wood retain its purple color, as opposed to turning brown when exposed to UV such as sunlight, even ambient.

Purpleheart is more like iron that ebony or rosewood It's extremely hard, and machines like metal.

Purpleheart does indeed change color - when it changes color, it changes to brown. It does this as a reaction to UV light. Think of it like a permanent sun tan.

I have a one piece purpleheart Tele body that still needs to have the roundover routed and the control cavity tunnels drilled, but I am putting it off because I want to do all that towards the end of the life of my router bits (they're expensive) and drill bits, because using them with purpleheart will basically destroy them. Purpleheart is crazy.

Last edited by ImmortalSix; 10-14-2011, 07:38 AM.
        my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

it turns red as it oxidises and wears over time.

Not sure about the conditioning, but I know a luthier who has worked with purpleheart a bunch, I'll ask him and see what he says.

Comment

My Luthier friend said that it should be finished, even as a fretboard, with lacquer. Otherwise, sweat and UV exposure will cause it to change colour to brown.

...this might warrant more research though.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
              My Luthier friend said that it should be finished, even as a fretboard, with lacquer. Otherwise, sweat and UV exposure will cause it to change colour to brown.

...this might warrant more research though.
              Cool. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
                Guess I don't have any pics of them on my work computer. I'll update with the guitar & bass tonight. Below are two pics of the guitar when it was being built.
                Last edited by speed2dirt; 10-14-2011, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Yep, that's awesome looking.

Comment

f**k, I gotta get a purpleheart guitar

Comment

I have no clue but I've always really liked the look of purple heart.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
                        f**k, I gotta get a purpleheart guitar
                        I'll build that purpleheart Tele body into anything you want. PM me if you are serious about it.

Comment

that tele looks awesome, that other guitar also looks killer. thats the basic shape I want to use for a guitar I have in my mind; just change it into a singlecut guitar, and you've got my dreamguitar right there.

the shape, that is. not the woods.

Comment

Working...
                          X