No announcement yet.

Dent in fingerboard (rosewood): how to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dent in fingerboard (rosewood): how to?

My '99 MusicMan Axis SS is in great condition for its age, bar two pretty sizeable dents in the fingerboard:

I love this guitar to death and I would very much like to get rid of this; I read up on the iron method but I've never tried it so I figured I'd ask on here first as it feels a little scary.

I got advised to simply damp a towel, place it flat on the bit I'd like raised and put a soldering iron close by to raise the wood. As usual I'm suspicious of it being that easy! Am I safe in trying it out or am I missing something?

Thanks y'all

Re: Dent in fingerboard (rosewood): how to?

When working on my guitar build I put two small dents in the back. I used the wet paper town with a clothes iron and set the steam really high. I was working on an unfinished body so I had a lot of room to move the iron around. It worked, but it took a few a bit and you have to be careful not to raise the wood around it too.

I think the soldering iron method is going to work the best because you can localize the heat more. My advise is grab a few pieces of scrap wood and practice first.

Comment

+1

Steam it out.
      Originally posted by Frankly
      PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
      Originally posted by Diocletian
      Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

I've used the soldering iron and damp cloth method many times now, to great effect. Try to keep the moist piece of cloth to a minimum, particularly in that location near a fret, take your time and watch your progress. You'll be surprised how easy and effective it is.

If you don't feel comfortable about it, maybe find a similar piece of scrap wood, create a similar dent and practice on that to get a feel for the process.
        Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Yep, you don't want to get the good part of the board too wet.

Put it this way, you don't have much to lose the way it is now. I'd go with the clothes iron and steam and small small wet cloth cut to fit the offended area.

Slow and repeated attempts. If it looks like it's getting close to where you want it, back off for a while. the wood will continue to expand a bit as the moisture settles in. Good luck.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Is that a dent or a chip?

If it's a dent, these suggestions should work.

If it's a chip, I don't think so. Needs to be filled in.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Looks like the e-string is located over the tapered section of the fret….

Steaming it out - take your time and work at it a little at a time, get the wood time to absorb the moisture - take a few days to get it done right, so do not rush it!
              Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
              When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
              Red Devils - 1% all the way!
              Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
              Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Yes the high E is a little too much on the edge. I wanted to change strings but before I went ahead I figured I'd learn a bit more about this steaming method and do it all at once (reset the net and even out the fingerboard).

And it's definitely a dent, not a chip, else the steaming wouldn't work at all if the wood's missing. It's just compressed.

Comment

Working...
                X