Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• touch-up paint

Hi,

I rarely feel the need to touch up dings, but in this case I have a big chip down to the wood on a MIM Strat, right on the edge of the arm contour. It scratches the hell out of my strumming arm. It takes my arm a week to heal up every time I play the guitar.

Obviously I can just wear a long shirt, but I am looking for a "non-clothing-dependent" solution. (And if you want say to strum less hard or in a different location, you can just take off now. ) I figure I will try touch up first, rather than trying to smooth the edges of the chip. If that doesn't work, I will smooth it out.

It is sage green metallic, like so:

I have seen several cars in similar colors. Hondas and Toyotas for sure. But I am wondering if anyone knows the exact code for the paint, so I can try tracking down a perfect match.

Thank you.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Re: touch-up paint

P.S. Here is a computer pic of the damage:

Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Put a big band-aid over it.

Comment

I have used gaffer tape on similar chips in the past. That's what I will do for the time being if I play this live. But for the long term, I want to try something different this time, and I have always been curious about guitar touch-up paints in general. Does Fender still use the standard automotive paint formulas of the day?
        Last edited by ItsaBass; 10-16-2011, 05:29 PM.
        Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Great thread. I also have a big chip on one of my Starts. You'd think you could plastic wood fiill it and then get some auto touch up paint that matches fairly closely, but IDK.
          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Don't mean to hijack this and I hope the OP doesnt mind me posting here. I was going to make a new thread about this, but since this one came up about the same thing...I thought it would be ok if I just added to it...

I recently received this guitar with shipping damage.. and here's where I am attempting to fix it, so far so good. But touching up will be the tough part I guess.

and that's where I'm at...just waiting for my "Black Onyx" Scratch Doctor Touch Up Kit to arrive...
            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Nice job, Phantasmagoria. I'm an idiot, so I never would have thought to do that. Good luck with the rest of it!!

Comment

Thanks! ...nothing else I could think of would've done the trick, given that it was'nt a straight break but more sort of "V" shaped. Luckily it worked out pretty well and I've improved on my sculpting skills in the bargain

I just hope I'm able to match/blend colours convincingly, though I'm not going to get too anal about it. It's black so I should get close enough...if anyone has any experience/tips with stuff like this though, please feel free to share

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

DuPont dealers have a scanner that you just put on the surface of whatever color you would like to have made. Most Orielly auto parts stores have them, just make sure they have someone there that knows how to run it correctly.
                  Good trades/deals with Dominus, Rich#6, Lazyfingers, SAVAGE DISTORTION and ErikH.

Comment

Agh, that poor Iron Bird! The hell happened to it?

Nice job patchin' it up, though.

Comment

I would browse the nail polish isle...usually you can find one that's really close given all the options.
                      "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

Originally posted by jacksontrader View Post
                        DuPont dealers have a scanner that you just put on the surface of whatever color you would like to have made. Most Orielly auto parts stores have them, just make sure they have someone there that knows how to run it correctly.
                        Thanks ...yeah, there's a place here that does something like that. If my Chrysler black onyx touch up paint kit does'nt work out I might have a look.

@TheLivingDead: VERY disappointing indeed .... at least the neck was'nt broken...lol. (I had that happen when I bought my Dinky)

It plays like a dream though....and I think I can make it look pretty damned close to new with a bit of luck....
                        Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 10-17-2011, 06:40 AM.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by SabbathFan0220 View Post
                          I would browse the nail polish isle...usually you can find one that's really close given all the options.

I was just thinking of that! How durable is the stuff though? Do I need a clear coat on top?

Youtube

Comment

Yes, there is the nail polish trick, and it works fine. But I am interested in talking about ways to obtain an exact match.

Fender ought to just sell the darned stuff in little bottles...or include it with each guitar.
                            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

You can mix nail polish to get the colour just right too. I've done that lots of times. Even metallic and pearl-finishes. The finish is very durable too--so long as you don't sweat acetone.
                              Last edited by Boppy; 10-17-2011, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X