Clip on headstock tuners.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clip on headstock tuners.....

How are the clip on headstock tuners? Just curious about these as it would be rather convenient having your tuner easily accessable at the headstock of the guitar. Does the vibration censor on these make them tune more accurately than other tuners? Input please....
    Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 10-19-2011, 06:38 AM.
    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Roland Cube 60
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Re: Clip on headstock tuners.....

Never tried one, but they still look more inconvenient than having an inline tuner on the ground in front of you.

You would still have to clip it on and off again before playing.
    👣
    👣
    💀

Comment

I often play with one clipped on.

I bought my first clip-on nearly 10 years ago. It was slow and had a fairly coarse tuning ability (meaning that there was a fairly broad range of frequencies that it considered "in tune," compared to better tuners).

I recently bought the red Snark clip-on, in response to it winning that Premier Guitar shoot-out and I'm very impressed with how far the technology has come. This thing is lightning quick and seems every bit as precise as my TC Electronic Polytune. Perfect for any time I'm not playing through my pedalboard. Which is, honestly, most of the time, when I'm just screwing around.

Originally posted by Redmist View Post

You would still have to clip it on and off again before playing.
      ---------------------------
      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I've had one of the Snark tuners for years and love it. A few months ago, buy.com was selling these for $9.95 with free shipping. I got 1 more and 3 friends ordered 1 as well.
        We're all very happy with them. Easy to see, especially in the dark and they are accurate. Works well with all my electrics and acoustics, even the mandolin.

Comment

That Snark one looks cool and discrete enough to leave on while gigging.

Can you set the tuning on it for say, drop C? .... or is it only for standard guitar and bass tunings?
          👣
          👣
          💀

Comment

I have one of these that I really like alot. I think I paid $12 for it.

Comment

I have that Snark SN2 as well.
              1989 Greco Les Paul EG59-60
              1992 Fernandes Telecaster
              2013 PRS Bernie Marsden SE
              2014 Tokai Love Rock LS115F
              2013 Ibanez Prestige RG3521
              2018 Ibanez JCustom RG8570Z
              Friedman Runt 50

Comment

I have a planet waves one:

Tuning up is easy and seems to work well in noisy environments. I think it's slightly less accurate than plugging directly into my little korg tuner, but it's definitely close enough for rock and roll. I like that it frees up pedalboard space for other stuff.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

It's chromatic. You can tune to anything you like. And if you want to change its reference pitch up or down (I forget how many cents it offers) you can do that too.

Originally posted by Redmist View Post

Can you set the tuning on it for say, drop C? .... or is it only for standard guitar and bass tunings?
                  ---------------------------
                  The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post

Me too. I have two of these in black. Cost me closer to $15 each though. I liked the first one so much I bought another one. I mount mine on the peghead of the guitar but mount it so I can read the dial from the back side of the peghead. Looks a little better to me without the dial showing on the front of my guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post

This is the one I use in the shop (where plugging in to a tuner is not really an option).

Works great for what I need it for.
                      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I have the Planet Wave pictured above. Very accurate but harmonics sometimes confuse it. Have to dampen the other strings. Doesn't clip on my Ovation head stock very well either. The Snark looks like it might work better on the Ovation. Going shopping!

Comment

I have one of these. Sabine makes a really good tuner, but it is slightly more difficult then using my TU2 or 3. I use it with my acoustic guitars mostly. I just recently bought an Alvarez YB1 baritone & it is a little more complex to get it in tune but it does work well. I like the idea that there can be a lot of backround noise yet you can still tune fairly accurately.
                          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

The new korg one works great, one of the bass players I play with at church uses it and I have tried it out to mess around, was easy, accurate and I didn't even notice it when I really started playing....just leave it on there and jam...
                            "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

Comment

Snark - I have 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X