banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't be lazy, take that poor guitar to a tech!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't be lazy, take that poor guitar to a tech!

My Ibanez will be ready on Tuesday.
    First time that any of my electrics gets a pro setup!

A new bone nut, fret leveling and crowning, and a good cleaning/tightening of electronics and hardware.
    And setup for 9-46 strings tuned to E.

There wasn't much wrong with it besides the nut, but still.
    Should be as soft as butter to play, and as reliable as an old Labrador.

Any of you held on this and regret it after having a pro setup?
    I think I will.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Re: Don't be lazy, take that poor guitar to a tech!

I've had mixed experiences with pro setups. Sometimes they're great and make the guitar feel and sound totally better than it did and other times I don't notice much difference at all and wonder why I didn't just do it myself, since I've got some knowledge and ability.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I do my own. I'm happy enough with set-ups, electrics, truss-rod adjustments and all the usual jazz, including fret levelling. Over time, I've acquired all the tools I need to do what I want to do. I'd not want to start any major surgery though (broken head-stock anyone?). I've only needed that once and I took it to someone who knew what they were doing.

I still haven't got round to doing the 513 though, it'll need its nut slots cutting a little, just like all guitars seem to need out of the box.
      Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I've played on some guitars before and after a local "pro" set em up. I thought they play fantastically afterward. It should be worth your while.

Comment

I recently got my Sg set up by a pro and it plays completely different. A much better guitar.

I recommend it if you can find someone good.
          Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
          Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I don't trust anyone.
            So - I attempted to bring in my 'clunker' to a real nice shop - and they told me they wouldn't get to it in 2 months. Plus he sounded like he didn't want to do it.
            That was it. I do my own work.
            But if I found a good tech. here in Pennsyltucky, I would bring them all in !

Comment

I really need to be serviced by a pro....... I know ID feel better!! ooops, er, um... I meant my guitars would prob benefit from a pro set up too..

Diego, look forward to your review of the after
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I'd love to,you buyin'?
                Got no monies for set-ups,p/up swaps,nuthin...
                (Blues in E)...
                "Scalloped & Stickered"
                A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

I only have a guitar center tech available- so I won't be doing that any time soon.
                  My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                  Originally posted by CTN
                  I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                  FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

I will say that there is a dude named Mikey at my local GC that I would trust.. He built up a poorly slotted nut in a hot Dean ML I had once.. Doubt he does refrets and such, but. There is another dude locally that I fully trust, but I dont think he does fretwork and stuff either. Chip from Chips Music..
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

What does me not taking it to a pro have to do with being lazy? I would say most people who dont take their stuff to a pro either dont cause they do it themselves or they dont want to spend the cash. I'm sorta both. Unless I have a guitar that I cant get to set up right I dont see the need to spend the money. Im like most in that ive had mixed results with "pro" set ups.
                      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Don't be lazy - go buy the GP Repair guide (Erlwine) and learn to do it yourself.

ONLY you can make it perfect for you. It will be cheaper, and it will be better.

NO ONE but you will take the time to tweek it to perfection. A tech can only tweek it to a spec and then you get it back. To really set it up takes: adjust height, play, adjust trust, play, adjust intonation, play, adjust height, play, tweek pickup, play adjust height, play, retweek truss, play, etc...

No tech will do this whole back and forth deal with you. and that's the only way to really get it right.
                        Last edited by Aceman; 10-23-2011, 09:37 AM.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

^^^ and thats what ive found. The techs idea of "perfect" wasnt my idea of perfect
                          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            Don't be lazy - go buy the GP Repair guide (Erlwine) and learn to do it yourself.

ONLY you can make it perfect for you. It will be cheaper, and it will be better.

NO ONE but you will take the time to tweek it to perfection. A tech can only tweek it to a spec and then you get it back. To really set it up takes: adjust height, play, adjust trust, play, adjust intonation, play, adjust height, play, tweek pickup, play adjust height, play, retweek truss, play, etc...

No tech will do this whole back and forth deal with you. and that's the only way to really get it right.
                            Believe it or not, this tech will do exactly that!
                            He told me "Come here on Tuesday, check my setup and if you want them lower or higher or a different neck relief, I'll do it for free".
                            I did tell him to keep a similar string action, he wrote everything down so...

The guy's terrific and enormously popular in the local guitar world.
                            And he's the nicest guy I've ever met as well.

I normally adjust everything by myself, but I don't know how to fix frets.

We'll see how it goes but I'm confident.

And Edgecrusher, don't be sensitive it's just an expression you know. No attack intended.
                            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I got my Squier set up at Ed Roman's many years ago, and it came back perfect. I took my Epiphone to a funky place called Cowtown (awesome guitar shop, actually), and the guy did a sloppy job on my graphite nut. Since then, I've been doing my own setups, and I've been getting more of what I want. I'm sure I have a long way to go, and I am considering getting my hands on on of the Erlewine books.
                              Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

Working...
                              X