Epi Trad Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epi Trad Pro

I like the idea of these with the coil tapping and the satin finished back and sides. Anyone have or played one? Whats the neck like? Is it basically an Epi standard with a few extra features?

Re: Epi Trad Pro

I've played a few, actually, and the "satin" back and sides feel... not very satiny. It's like Gibson's "faded" finish but somehow still kinda tacky feeling. It's not bad, just kinda different.

The neck shape is like most epiphones, didn't notice any difference when switching between the trad and the standards.
    The coil taps are a fine feature, once you get new pickups in there. Epi's pickups sound pretty bad to me no matter what.

So, it's basically an Epi standard.

Comment

The finish is a poly and much harder than Gibson's Fadeds, I wouldn't expect it to break in the same way. Not a good or bad thing just what it is. I played a few the other day when I was a the store, to me they feel better than the Standard Epi but they still have all the same issues to be addressed before they are ready to go IMO. Fret-dress, pickups and a new bridge and you probably have a real nice guitar.
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Well, I got the opportunity to play a trad pro tonight. I was able to compare it to an epi standard and a custom.

Its definitely different than both. The neck is fairly chunky, but overall the guitar is pretty light. I don't know if its the wood or if they are chambered, but the standard is much heavier.

The whole back of the guitar is satin, but was also rather unfinished otherwise. Kinda like they take barely sanded wood and slapped some flat paint on it. All the pores and nooks and crannies of the wood are on display and can be readily felt all over the back and back of the neck. I'm not sure if I like that or not. Its definitely different.

Comment

yeah, that "nooks and crannies in the wood" thing I guess it what bugs me most about it.

Have you played the Gibson Trad Pros? The neck and back are satiny but in a much better-feeling way, like the body of a hwy1 fender, though still a lil smoother. That's worth it.

Comment

yea, ive played them and like them alot. thats why i was hoping that the epi would be somewhat close.

Comment

Working...
            X