Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ToneShaper for Les Paul

You read it here first!
    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Re: ToneShaper for Les Paul

Here is a photo of it!
    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Holy smokes! Appears revolutionary. Looking forward to some reviews.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

For someone who hasn't done any mods to their guitars before, that seems like a really good idea. But for those of us who have done all of those mods available in the Toneshaper many many times and already know what we like it seems like a waste of money.

I already know that I like independant volumes and 50s wiring. I know that I generally like 500k pots, but it's not a big thing to replace a pot if I want to try a 300k or 250k with a particular pup/guitar. Same thing with caps. I've already gone through the experimentation stage and know that I generally like .020 caps, but again, it's not a big deal at all to change a cap to a .010 or a .047.

Same thing with all the other mods in it. I either already know what I want, or it's very easy to do it myself to get what I want. Does the Toneshaper make it easier and quicker? Absolutely! Will I spend $150 for that convenience for every guitar I own? ABSOLUTELT NOT!!

But for a newbie with only one or two guitars, maybe it's worth the extra expense.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Expensive, but terrific.
          I'd definitely have it if someday I only had ONE Les Paul or PRS or whatever, that I loved to death.
          Tailoring all those details to the maximum would be fantastic, and then just leave it there for good.

Not that many of us would behave like that.
          Last edited by Diego; 10-24-2011, 08:55 AM.
          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

If you are an old timer like myself you probably had machine and electronic shop in Jr. high. If you are a young adult you probably didn't have it offered as an elective in high school at least not in California.

Being able to solder allows you to do trial and error to test out some mods you read about on these forums like caps, series, indie vs depend, star grounding, pot values and so on. Granted you have to buy all the components and materials which includes a soldering iron. You also have to invest a good amount of time in this venture to find out what you like because usually these mods are tested in a serial manner with some time in between to use them in a performance environment. Part of this quest will also include pickups which you will need to solder into your wiring as well.

But eventually you get to your personal preference of what you like.

The Toneshaper is just an easy to use tool that doesn't require you to buy any tools or parts to try out the most requested mods in a serial or parallel manner very quickly. Leave the cover off and you can try all 7 cap values to find the one you like with you current pickups. Same with the other mods. If you change pickups you don't have to use the Gibson connectors. You can use anyone's pickups in a solderless manner.

Think of it as this way, you could use a pencil and paper to balance your bank statement or you can use a calculator. They both work but which tool is easier.

Comment

I think that when I finally get my first good LP, I'll get one of those to go in it. It will let me easily and quickly figure out how different options sound in a Les Paul, a guitar type I just haven't spent that much time tweaking. Plus, if you wanted a LP wiring harness with two push pulls, and all those capacitors to try out, it wouldn't exactly be cheap. Plus l, you save all that time re-wiring and re-soldering. Now THAT is a pain in my ass that I'd be glad to not have to deal with.
              Custom neck-thru strat
              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
              1995 PRS CE24
              D'avanzo #8
              Breedlove Solo Concert
              1996 USA Dean Baby Z
              1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
              1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
              Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

That is a great idea!

I'll probably wait and read a few reviews before I take the plunge though....

Comment

FYI, that's what the "Serenity" product line is for. Check "TS" website for info.

Comment

I can see avery useful value to it when you buy a new guitar. Use the Toneshaper to get everything dialed in the way you want it. Play the guitar for a month or so to make sure it is "right" and make any final tweaks. The Toneshaper makes all of this trial and error very simple.

Then take out the toneshaper and replace it with permanent compnents. Use the toneshaper on your next guitar purchase to dial it in.

I admit that I would use it for that. But I would eventually replace it with permanent components/wiring. I just can't help but think that your tone would be better if your guitar had the real things in instead of all the extra circuitry of the Toneshaper.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                      I just can't help but think that your tone would be better if your guitar had the real things in instead of all the extra circuitry of the Toneshaper.
                      That must be some mighty fine cork you're sniffing.

No offense good sir, it was just a rather snobbish statement. You can't judge how something will change your tone until you've tried it.
                      Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

Nothing wrong with using it that way. It's a tool so use it as you like. Hopefully after using it for awhile it may be of more value to you over time.

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
                          Unless he did a major reedit. You ignored the rest of his post and took offense at nothing.
                          Lol. I didn't take offense, I thought it was funny. I mean, Acme uses CTS and Switchcraft. Those are the "real things." Guitar circuits are stupidly simple. I don't think those extra capacitors will really effect the circuit when they're switched off.
                          Custom neck-thru strat
                          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                          1995 PRS CE24
                          D'avanzo #8
                          Breedlove Solo Concert
                          1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                            That must be some mighty fine cork you're sniffing.

No offense good sir, it was just a rather snobbish statement. You can't judge how something will change your tone until you've tried it.
                            No cork sniffing at all. Just concerned about having the best tone possible.

But it was quite rude of you to call names because of an opinion, not a "snobbish statement". I don't have to personally try everything to have an idea of how it may affect tone. Experience is a good teacher, however.

No offense to you either good sir, but since you are not a cork-sniffing snob and seem to know just about everything....

Are you implying that extra electronic components DO NOT affect tone at all?

What's all of the hubbub about "true bypass" about? And I suppose that long guitar cords (with no electronic circuitry at all) don't have any effect on tone either.

I have not actually tried the Toneshaper, but you may notice from my post that I assume that the most simple and direct signal path would have the least affect on tone.

Comment

Working...
                            X