banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it true Gibson paints all their "bad" bodies a certain colour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it true Gibson paints all their "bad" bodies a certain colour?

any truth to this? i think i read it here once and somewhere else online..

Re: Is it true Gibson paints all their "bad" bodies a certain colour?

Depends, what color is yours?
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Comment

All companies do this.

The less-attractive wood always get marked for the opaque finishes.

Doesn't mean the wood is bad, but you're not going to strip your LP Studio and find a AAA Flame top under there. It just isn't as pretty.

Makes a lot of sense, actually.
      -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Yep, multipiece backs and bodies...

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
          Depends, what color is yours?

nominated for post-of-the-day award.

Comment

I've heard many of the studios that are solid color are so because the maple top doesn't have a nice grain or has splotches that would look lousy with a clear finish. Doesn't affect the tone at all but it makes a lot of sense.

Comment

These funny Les Paul Customs... The black is to cover up all their mistakes :P
              Anything I post is based on first hand experience.

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                All companies do this.

Doesn't mean the wood is bad, but you're not going to strip your LP Studio and find a AAA Flame top under there. It just isn't as pretty.

I have a Les Paul Custom that was originally white... I stripped the top to find a bookmatched AAAAA flame maple top, but a large knot behind the bridge. Looks like it was meant to be a Custom shop top, but once they carved it, discovered the knot, and proceeded to paint it white to cover up the knot

Comment

All companies do this.

Not only that, but some companies will re-spray a finished guitar with a different colour to meet demand.

A lot of people who've refinished old Fenders, for instance, have sanded off the original finish to find a second finish underneath (usually black or sunburst, as those were the standard finishes back then).

The other reason this happens sometimes is if they screw up the first finish, it's often just easier to spray a new finish over it.

Again, nothing to do with quality of the wood.
                  Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                  Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

All companies do this.

+1. Why bury a beautiful flame top under opaque paint? Why not use the less showy pieces for wood for solid paints? Everybody does it, it's only good business practice. Besides, a less attractive looking piece of wood may have a better tone.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

When you say Bad.... I think you mean that the wood might be plain or is a multiple piece body. These IMHO may not be as attractive as a flame top, but the usually have great tone. I have a black Les Paul that is a multiple piece body that has killer sustain. To me, it really doesn't matter too much on the color that I wind up with (as long as it isn't something really odd like Pink). It matters what it sounds and plays like!
                      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
                      X