Neck/pocket modification, advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck/pocket modification, advice?

So, the neck on my reactor decided that all the years in the hot/cold van had beaten it. It's already split by the screws, twice, fixed that previously, twice. But now after sitting while I did the body work and stuff, it's warped, too much relief, and the nut is bottomed out.

I know, I can maybe fix it with a washer, BUT...

I've got an old Jackson neck I can put on it that has a better profile, has the Gibson style and width nut that I prefer, jumbos, has a rosewood board, which I think I might prefer on this guitar, and a pointy headstock, which might go with my metal tele motiff. And it almost fits. It's 1/16th shallower than the stock neck, and about 1/32nd wider on each side width wise. Everything else measures out, even the heel shape is the same.

I'm sure I can find some maple laminate to bump up the neck heel. Should I go all the way and glue it? Or should I just make a 1/16th" shim? Neck needs finish anyway (sanded clean).

I think I can open the neck joint on the body enough with a file, and to refinish the neck pocket is easy, it's just flat black rattle can.

So, I'm looking for encouragement here, or discouragement. Should I try this?

Re: Neck/pocket modification, advice?

Yes, try it.

It seems you have already identified what needs to be done, which is the hard part when modifying guitars.

I think it will be a fulfilling project.

Just remember that it's easier to remove wood than it is to put it back, so measure twice and cut once.
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Measure thrice!!

Just use a shim, but don't glue it in.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

What about a brass or aluminum shim? I've got aluminum.

Comment

I don't know whether that would hurt anything, tonewise, but I would feel safer using wood.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
          X