Another "This" versus "That" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another "This" versus "That" Thread

I usually buy a $75 Squier, and then put about $100 into upgrading it. Then it sounds better than any USA made guitar to me.

Truthfully though, upgrade your signal chain. Your LTD should be fine. Change out the pickups if necessary, just make sure you match the pickups to the wood.

I've got a client that I set up with an Agile AL-3100 and installed GFS pickups into it. He had a guitarist over that completely rocked it out, running through Amplitube.

An expensive guitar won't make you sound better. Only you can make you sound better.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
      go to a shop, play some side by side - dont even bother plugging in initially.
      Youll know straight away if the ESP etc is worth the extra cash.
      If you cant tell the difference, then go cheaper - but if you can tell the difference then the decision is clear.
      The ESPs almost always feel better to me, but that ESP seems to have so much more "features" compared to the Jackson, which makes me weary because of the $300. I'm 15, to me $1600 is a lot of money, because as of right now that's about a years worth of salary. Common sense helps sometimes.

Originally posted by dominus View Post
      I usually buy a $75 Squier, and then put about $100 into upgrading it. Then it sounds better than any USA made guitar to me.

Truthfully though, upgrade your signal chain. Your LTD should be fine. Change out the pickups if necessary, just make sure you match the pickups to the wood.

I've got a client that I set up with an Agile AL-3100 and installed GFS pickups into it. He had a guitarist over that completely rocked it out, running through Amplitube.

An expensive guitar won't make you sound better. Only you can make you sound better.
      I was thinking of getting a new pickguard routed for humbuckers for my Starcaster if I had any extra money Not really worth it though right now, I'd need new tuners along with the pickups

The LTD has a Floyd, I hate dealing with it. I can set it up easily, it's just too much of a pain for me.

I'd go for an Agile, but for what I'm looking for as of right now doesn't seem to be in their stock unless if I get a Floyd or a Baritone. Maybe I need to look harder. I mainly want an expensive axe for the quality, something that I can justify spending a years worth of allowance/birthday money. Of course, at my age, we all want the most expensive toys we can get our hands on.

An Agile would make a nice addition to my collection though, I really like their V's.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Maz View Post

I was thinking of getting a new pickguard routed for humbuckers for my Starcaster if I had any extra money Not really worth it though right now, I'd need new tuners along with the pickups

Starcasters are S/S/H, just so you know, you wouldn't be able to run dual humbuckers.

Pickguards are cheap here:

This pickup (bridge model) is absolutely awesome in the bridge of a Starcaster:

You could go S/S/H and get the vintage (neck) and modern (middle) pickups:

These tuners would work:

These mods would make your Starcaster sound 10 times better, for about $100.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
          Starcasters are S/S/H, just so you know, you wouldn't be able to run dual humbuckers.
          I took the pickguard off and the neck space looks large enough to house a humbucker, maybe I'll try and get a picture of it
          sigpic

Comment

I've owned all 3 brands so I'll list a few like and dislikes. This is MHO of course of higher end models.

Ibby's,other than the S series I don't care for the body shapes. The middle pups seem to be in the way. The necks are waaaay to thin for me. My forearm just aches thinking about playing a wizard neck. They do have a good pups. They also make a decent trem. I would never buy a low end Ibby,close to junk as you can get.

Jackson,I love'm but I only own 1 these days. They were my main guitars for a long time. They too have that rough arm rest that is one of my main complaints with the ibby's. I just don't like the edge of the guitar cutting into my arm. Good pups,solid trems,and a lot of options. Really great guitars that give me GAS but when ever I play one I just feel...meh,whatever. Lower end models provide a lot of bang for the buck.

ESP,out of the 3 if I would walk into a store and buy a new guitar it would be a ESP,a Horizon to be precise. I still own 3 ESP's and they are some of my best and most comfortable players. Not to thin necks,comfy lazy feel,and top notch materials. You can buy a production guitar that feels like a hand made custom. Something the other two brands lack IMHO. Something about ESP's that I notice is that even the cavities are just beautiful,just goes to show the love put into the whole guitar. Lower end LTD's vary so much. One is a killer guitar the next a hunk of junk.

When it comes to top end models I like ESP's. The reason though is what I consider a comfortable player. I feel ESP has better QC too. I'll tell you what I tell everyone when they are considering spending REAL money on a fine guitar. Spend some time with them,real time not just 30 minutes in a store. Find someone that will let you play their guitar for a couple hours. I bought a Ibby years ago that I regretted buying because it was so uncomfortable to play for extended periods of time. Don't do like I did and drop a grand on a guitar that was "cool" and end up hating it.

You'll know when you find "the one".

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Vengeance View Post
              I've owned all 3 brands so I'll list a few like and dislikes. This is MHO of course of higher end models.

Ibby's,other than the S series I don't care for the body shapes. The middle pups seem to be in the way. The necks are waaaay to thin for me. My forearm just aches thinking about playing a wizard neck. They do have a good pups. They also make a decent trem. I would never buy a low end Ibby,close to junk as you can get.

Jackson,I love'm but I only own 1 these days. They were my main guitars for a long time. They too have that rough arm rest that is one of my main complaints with the ibby's. I just don't like the edge of the guitar cutting into my arm. Good pups,solid trems,and a lot of options. Really great guitars that give me GAS but when ever I play one I just feel...meh,whatever. Lower end models provide a lot of bang for the buck.

ESP,out of the 3 if I would walk into a store and buy a new guitar it would be a ESP,a Horizon to be precise. I still own 3 ESP's and they are some of my best and most comfortable players. Not to thin necks,comfy lazy feel,and top notch materials. You can buy a production guitar that feels like a hand made custom. Something the other two brands lack IMHO. Something about ESP's that I notice is that even the cavities are just beautiful,just goes to show the love put into the whole guitar. Lower end LTD's vary so much. One is a killer guitar the next a hunk of junk.

When it comes to top end models I like ESP's. The reason though is what I consider a comfortable player. I feel ESP has better QC too. I'll tell you what I tell everyone when they are considering spending REAL money on a fine guitar. Spend some time with them,real time not just 30 minutes in a store. Find someone that will let you play their guitar for a couple hours. I bought a Ibby years ago that I regretted buying because it was so uncomfortable to play for extended periods of time. Don't do like I did and drop a grand on a guitar that was "cool" and end up hating it.

You'll know when you find "the one".

Good Luck

I somewhat I have the same views you put in your post. Thanks for the help, makes me lean towards the ESP Horizon even more then I already was. Unfortunately these higher end guitars are hard to reach for me, but what ever time I can get with the high ends I take.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X