Can't keep the smudge away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't keep the smudge away

Satin finish on bod and neck. I use Dunlop formula 65, but the guitar is really, really dirty. I keep polishing (tried both old t-shirt and fiber-rag, or whatever they're called) and all that happens is the smudge keeps getting pushed around. Any suggestions? Black guitar too, so the grime is REALLY visible.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Re: Can't keep the smudge away

Try something like Autoglym super resin polish. It won't shine the finish if you just apply without rubbing, then wipe off the White powder when it dries.

Especially good on nitro finish.
    Last edited by Redmist; 11-08-2011, 03:52 PM.
    👣
    👣
    💀

Comment

Poly finish?
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

What ever you do, don't use the Gibson stuff. It will shine the hell out of that spot.
        - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
          Poly finish?
          ya, pretty much, but without the gloss or overcoated laquer.
          1973 Aria 551
          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

What about Simple Green then? Windex? Poly won't be hurt by many chemicals that would instantly harm a nitrocellulose finish.
            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Oops, my bad. Methinks it's actually nitro. that's the one Ginson usually uses, right? Its basically a normal Gibson coating but without the laquer/clear gloss over it.
              1973 Aria 551
              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                Oops, my bad. Methinks it's actually nitro. that's the one Ginson usually uses, right? Its basically a normal Gibson coating but without the laquer/clear gloss over it.
                It is nitro, just very, very thin, and not shined.
                - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

If it is a Gibson, it is more than likely a nitrocellulose finish.

I think that there might be a terminology misinderstanding between us.

"Lacquer" simply means that it is a finish in which the solvent is just a temporary "carrier." The solvent allows you to apply the finish as a liquid, but it evaporates out, leaving behind the stuff that was dissolved in it, making the hard finish. Nitrocellulose is the stuff that is left behind, which was originally dissolved in solution with the solvent. Nitro is just one type of lacquer (organic-based resin). Acrylic lacquer is another type (synthetic resin).

From your last post, perhaps you think that if it is not glossy, it is not lacquer. That is not the case. Lacquer of any type can be glossy or matte, as can poly. The luster of the finish is not a good indicator of whether or not it is a nitro, acrylic, or poly.

So my statement that nitrocellulose is sensitive to damage from various chemicals applied specifically to a nitrocellulose finish, not just to a lacquer finish in general. Acrylic lacquer is much more hardy. Sorry if that was confusing.

My point was that if your finish is not nitrocellulose, it is probably pretty resistant to chemical and moisture damage. But if it is nitro, use more caution with what you put on it.
                  Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-08-2011, 03:10 PM.
                  Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Well, I'm fairly certain it's nitro. Furthermore, AFAIK, Gibson applies the color (some 30 coats or something) and then a clear gloss or something that hardens, protecting the paint job and wood. This is also what tends to crack over time. that last layer is not applied to the Gothic series (or any Satin finish, from what I've understood), thus making the paint job pretty sensitive (indeed, mine shows some really overabundant wear).
                    1973 Aria 551
                    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

nitro goes cloudy over time - and dunlop polish just makes it go soft IME. Its just makes swirls in the nitro for which i have not found a cure.
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Dunlop Formula 65 is designed for 90% of guitars out there

specifically, NOT guitars finished with nitro. It's great for poly tho.

You should have used the Gibson pump polish because it actually contains nitro. Now that you've massaged so much poly polish into your guitar, you might just have to get used to that smudge buddy.
                        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Satin finish on bod and neck. I use Dunlop formula 65, but the guitar is really, really dirty. I keep polishing (tried both old t-shirt and fiber-rag, or whatever they're called) and all that happens is the smudge keeps getting pushed around. Any suggestions? Black guitar too, so the grime is REALLY visible.

I use this stuff on really grimy guitars and it works great! You can even use it on Nitro. I have two black guitars & I know what you mean about the smudge. Usually wear your arm comes in contact with the body. Try also playing with a long sleeve shirt to help minimize the sweat stain!
                          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                            Dunlop Formula 65 is designed for 90% of guitars out there

specifically, NOT guitars finished with nitro. It's great for poly tho.

You should have used the Gibson pump polish because it actually contains nitro. Now that you've massaged so much poly polish into your guitar, you might just have to get used to that smudge buddy.

FML! If the store hadn't changed owner, I'd kick that *******s head in!
                            1973 Aria 551
                            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Working...
                            X