Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• played some Gibson LP Customs 2day

And a great standard!

Ive wanted an LP custom (black) forever. But, I cant justify the price and most of the ones Ive played over the last few years have been rather disappointing..

Its rare to find them in local shops and oddly I stopped today at a shop across today as I happened to be over there taking care of some biz and they had 3.
    They have a LP standard (plus I think) in wine red and has a figured top (tho not exactly really nice ) that played so nice.. Quite funny, Ive never been much of a fan of wine red gibbys or red guitars in general, but I have a wine red trad pro and I now love that standard AND a wine red custom they had too... But Im getting ahead of myself..
    The first custom I played was a black one. supposed to be new, but Im guessing it was a 2005 from the serial number. It was heavy as an anvil and was in pretty bad shape. Lots of dings and rash from being demoed and the binding had oranged out in all the contact spots where the arm rests and where it sits on the lap and the front of the upper bout near the strap button. Plus, the hardware was dull from dust and all. Anyhow, it played pretty nice and had good sustain.. The other black one was in the back, untouched..
    I then played the Red LP standard and it was great!
    Then, the wine red Custom. not quite as heavy as the black one, but very solid. This one played like Ive always expected an LP custom to play.. Wow.. Invoked some serious GAS...
    Again, odd as red is really not my favorite, but I got my Trad pro cuz it was a great guitar, color aside.

I do have a question. Why is the inlay work on the headstock so crappy on these? the gibson logo wasnt cut out around the letters and inlaid in precisely, there was a circle cut around it and the whole circle was inlaid. Also, the diamond logo had a ton of filler around it and the whole thing was raised and all to the touch. Is this normal?? Looked almost like a bad copy. Im sure these were real tho, but jeez...

Darn, cant get these wine red babies outta my mind... Thanks for reading..
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: played some Gibson LP Customs 2day

Never been an LP fun.Never figured what this brand stands for.Never understood where this almost arrogant sense of vantage comes from.
    Metal,blues,classic rock,fusion,shredding stuff...there's allways a better axe to rely on.
    Maybe it's the pioneer charm,that I can deal with...But,really,take a look at those pricing lists...Do you honestly believe that a guitar worthing more than let's say 6000$ has a place in the real world?
    ...Thoughts of a naive...

P.S.I've played one or two (very) high end LP's in the past.

Comment

Where'd you go?
      "Scalloped & Stickered"
      A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Originally posted by grey View Post
        Never been an LP fun.Never figured what this brand stands for.Never understood where this almost arrogant sense of vantage comes from.
        Metal,blues,classic rock,fusion,shredding stuff...there's allways a better axe to rely on.
        Maybe it's the pioneer charm,that I can deal with...But,really,take a look at those pricing lists...Do you honestly believe that a guitar worthing more than let's say 6000$ has a place in the real world?
        ...Thoughts of a naive...

P.S.I've played one or two (very) high end LP's in the past.
        When I was a teenager, hair metal was the rage. I HATED guitars with pickguards. Except some charvels and Rgs. But Jacksons and Kramers were all that to me. I hated any of the old guy guitars like LPs and strats. But
        later I learned that nothing has that beefy tone of an LP and about any style can be played on one. Plus, I learned that like the short scale. Do I think the pricing is nuts, you bet..
        Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
        Where'd you go?
        Georges in Orange park
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
          The first custom I played was a black one. supposed to be new, but Im guessing it was a 2005 from the serial number. It was heavy as an anvil and was in pretty bad shape. Lots of dings and rash from being demoed and the binding had oranged out in all the contact spots where the arm rests and where it sits on the lap and the front of the upper bout near the strap button. Plus, the hardware was dull from dust and all.
          hmmm, I want that one

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
          I do have a question. Why is the inlay work on the headstock so crappy on these? the gibson logo wasnt cut out around the letters and inlaid in precisely, there was a circle cut around it and the whole circle was inlaid. Also, the diamond logo had a ton of filler around it and the whole thing was raised and all to the touch. Is this normal?? Looked almost like a bad copy. Im sure these were real tho, but jeez...
          Sorry but over extended periods of time the Gibson Custom shop does pretty lousy detail work. Problems with body and neck binding, with head and fretboard inlays and with fretwork are frequently reported.

What you got there are two so-called weight relieved LP Customs. The ones from the historical collection (the 57 and 68) might have better handywork on them. The 57 is solid but it has a mahogany top, the 68 is chambered, so it's still not easy to get a real, solid, plain LP Custom.

Comment

Some of my newer LP's have the same thing going on with the logo's. I think it has something to do with the clearcoat settling around the inlaid portion, but I don't know for sure. I know it seems to become more pronounced with age.

Comment

Working...
            X