Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Upgrading an Epiphone G-400

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
    I'm gonna go against the grain here and recommend a full shred neck and Duncan distortion bridge. The full shred neck is often overlooked as its very articulate and warm while still full and bright. Gr)eat cleans despite the shred name.

I will attest to this - the full shred brings so much massive woolly (when played under distortion) and articulate tone.

Clean, it's boggling

I had it on a Japanese RR3 (yes, I6 wasn't always a roots rocker), and it was glorious
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

blueman335 - "Custom 5 (SH-14) is very good in SG's and mahogany. If you want more mids and less treble, then put in an A8 magnet and you'll have the great C8. For what you're doing, I'm thinking a PAF in the bridge is probably not your best option."

If a C8 is pretty good then wouldn't it be easier to just get the C8 instead of upgrading a C5? Or is it either more cost effective or different to do so? And I'm not sure what you mean by a PAF, but I imagine the SH-4 has or is one? Thanks for all your help.

Comment

To Immortal Six,
        How exactly does the full shred sound? Is it good for many different types of playing or just metal?

Also in general I don't mind rolling back the treble settings for the 59's but are they that much better than the Jazz SH-2N?

Comment

seth lover.
          2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Orange View Post
            If a C8 is pretty good then wouldn't it be easier to just get the C8 instead of upgrading a C5? Or is it either more cost effective or different to do so? And I'm not sure what you mean by a PAF, but I imagine the SH-4 has or is one? Thanks for all your help.
            PAF basically means low output vintage style pickups. Usually always great in the neck regardless of your style. As for the C8, you can't buy it because it is not for sale. We, on the forum, just buy other customs and install an alnico 8 magnet. You can't buy a custom 8, you have make it yourself. This is why I recommend buying the custom 5 because you have to buy something right?

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Orange View Post
              To Immortal Six,
              How exactly does the full shred sound? Is it good for many different types of playing or just metal?

Also in general I don't mind rolling back the treble settings for the 59's but are they that much better than the Jazz SH-2N?
              The Full Shred neck, in my experience, has very soft highs - nothing shrill in there at all. It's an articulate pickup obviously; being aimed at shredders who use lots of notes very fast, and I find that it gets a little mushy with chording.

I wouldn't put one in a guitar these days, but that's mostly because I think it's ugly.

I will try and find a clip of it from when I had that crazy RR3 and post it.

Comment

Found a clip of that Full Shred in the RR3:

Performed poorly, and also recorded very poorly with only the very poorest of equipment

It's the lead / solo part.

Comment

I've tried dozens of combos in my SG's. I finally settled on the Gibson 498t bridge and Duncan 59 neck. Uncovered preferably.

Comment

You should replace the bridge with a tonepros or something similar and the nut. those will influence tone more, not to mention resonance and sustain.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                      You should replace the bridge with a tonepros or something similar and the nut. those will influence tone more, not to mention resonance and sustain.
                      Actually, Epi has been doing another thing right and upgraded their hardware with locking bridges & tails. My LP Ultra II has the locking bridge and tail and its a very good system. Instead of tightening a hex screw like TonePros, Epi uses a spring loaded system that "snaps" firmly in place. While it doesn't necessarily "lock" like the TonePros, its still a very tite fitting system. Here's the specs for the G-400 from Epi's website:

Body Mahogany
                      Neck Mahogany, gluedin
                      Scale 24.75”
                      Neck Profile SlimTaper™ “D”
                      Nut width 1.68
                      Fingerboard Rosewood, 24 fret
                      Fingerboard Radius 12”
                      Neck Pickup Alnico Classic™ humbucker
                      Bridge Pickup Alnico Classic Plus™ humbucker:
                      Bridge LockTone™ Tune-O-Matic Tailpiece Stopbar
                      Controls Neck pickup: 1-Volume, 1-Tone/ Bridge pickup: 1-Volume, 1-Tone w/full-size 500K O potentiometers
                      Hardware Nickel
                      Tuners GroverŪ 14:1 ratio
                      Color Cherry (CH), Ebony (EB), left handed model available in Cherry (CH).

Edit: just realized the OP's G-400 is over a year old. hopefully his guitar came equipped with this system.
                      If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                      DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Only two pups to consider for the bridge: P-90 or C8.

For the neck there are many choices for an SG: P-90, '59(b), Pearly Gates, APH-1, Screamin Demon, etc.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Resurrecting the dead... New tech use a SD BMP-1 blackout preamp with the stock pickups.. simply an amazing little gadget.. as easy as replacing a bad pot (30 mins start - finish)

Comment

Working...
                          X