Fret King Esprit III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret King Esprit III

I managed to find a little shop close to where I gigged on Thursday night that stocked Gordon-Smith guitars. They are on my list of 'possibles' for my 40th Birthday guitar pressie to myself. I tried a very nice GS2, which is a Les Paul Special type of guitar. Played extremely nicely, and with coil-splits on both humbuckers, was a very versatile little guitar.

I also tried a Fret King Esprit III. It's a kind of cross between a Firebird and a Jaguar, with all mahogany body and neck, rosewood board, reverse headstock and 3 P-90's wired to a volume, tone and a 5-way switch. Considering I usually struggle with 'weird-shaped' guitars, I loved playing it!! I also enjoyed the P-90 goodness, married to the 'quacky' options that the 5-way switch gave.

2 very versatile guitars, and I think I'll be adding the Fret King to the list!!

Like it....???

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Re: Fret King Espirit III

Did you play on the strap too? I like it, kind of reminds me of a MM Albert Lee too! 3 P90's must sound great.

Comment

Re: Fret King Esprit III

Wow, I really, really like that! Very Explorer inspired, but I dig that it has some unique features added and yet still looks good. How's the neck carve and thickness?
      Last edited by That90'sGuy; 11-19-2011, 12:06 PM.
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Re: Fret King Espirit III

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
        Did you play on the strap too? I like it, kind of reminds me of a MM Albert Lee too! 3 P90's must sound great.
        I didn't get to play it on a strap, but I was impressed with how well it sat on my lap. Some great 'growly' P-90 tones, with a little 'quackiness' in the notch positions. I played it through a little brown Traynor valve amp, which was good in highlighting the tones in both guitars.

Comment

It's cool, but if it were me shopping for a 40th birthday present I would have to love it. Do you love it?

Comment

I've fancied a Fret King for a long time. I really like the looks of the Esprit but I'd prefer it without the middle pickup which I know would get in the way of my pick.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
              I loved playing it!!

I hadn't really thought that I would like a 'shape' guitar, but it's playability was a fantastic surprise. I just need to ponder a little over the guitars that I have tried...

Comment

In that case: go for it! (and happy birthday, btw)

Comment

Originally posted by richard parker View Post
                  I've fancied a Fret King for a long time. I really like the looks of the Esprit but I'd prefer it without the middle pickup which I know would get in the way of my pick.
                  There is the Esprit 5 that has 2 humbuckers and a 3-way switch. Could fit a pair of Phat Cats to keep the P-90-ness...

Comment

Speaking of Gordon Smith, I really like the Gypsy semi-solid and have wanted one for a long time.

The shape of that Fret-King doesn't quite do it for me - I prefer their more 'normal' shapes like the Elan.

Comment

I like the look of the Elan too, but I think I'm looking for a more 'Gibson-esque' look.

Comment

I DO like it!

Comment

Originally posted by That90'sGuy View Post
                          Wow, I really, really like that! Very Explorer inspired, but I dig that it has some unique features added and yet still looks good. How's the neck carve and thickness?
                          It's quite a chunky neck, but certainly not a palm filler. It felt very 'Gibson-y', and it was the Gibson scale length. Medium jumbo frets and 12 inch fingerboard radius.

Comment

Working...
                          X