Roasted tone-wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasted tone-wood

I've only seen it done on maple necks, but I really dig the potential the idea has. Has anyone heard of roasting the body wood? What about woods like mahogany, or alder?
    My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
    The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
    Originally posted by CTN
    I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Re: Roasted tone-wood

for tone, nothing beats deep fry

Comment

Any thoughts at all about the subject matter?

The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
      Originally posted by CTN
      I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
      FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Suhr is currently experimenting on this subject.
        Anything I post is based on first hand experience.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
          Suhr is currently experimenting on this subject.
          A few got out to the market with a roasted body - Reaction I saw was very positive, but word is that the roasted body blanks were too expensive to offer as a wider scale option. Roasted necks as I recall is on the pricing sheet as an option.

I want my body blank cooked on a grill alongside a steak - for that beefy tone.

Comment

I can't think of how in the world it could have been that much more expensive. All they're doing is heating the fricken thing up to a billion degrees. Too expensive? This is suhr we're talking about, I have seen them charge like 4 grand for a guitar.

Originally posted by CTN

Comment

I wonder what smoked wood would sound like...

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
                I think it might have dark smokey cleans.....
                Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

If roasting wood unanimously improves the sound across the spectrum to achieve pleasing tones for a certain market, cool! This still seems like something reserved for the 'guitar collector' market, but who knows, maybe it will open up a new 'base' tone for our beloved solid bodies.

Speaking of which, I would like to see what this does to a semi hollow or full hollow where the integrity of the wood and type of bracing actually make a BIG difference when compared to the minor differences that we've fine tuned our ears to seek out in solid bodies (and lay people cannot tell the difference! this is one of the most frustrating parts of a tone quest!)
                  2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

^ interesting question...

Keep in mind though, that the woods used for acoustics are a lot thinner by the time they get into fabrication stage...gotta wonder how well they'd hold up to the roasting process, or if they'd warp..?
                    Last edited by CTN; 11-20-2011, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
                      Smoke some trees and find out
                      Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I wish bro. I'm all out right now.

Comment

Why settle for just roasted or smoked wood? Keep this quiet but I'm going to get a jump on the next hot thing: age the wood in bourbon barrels, swimming in stout of course. Now THAT is going to be some good tone!

Comment

mmmmmmmm ^ I could definitely go for that

Comment

I tried leaving a body out in the sun in PHoenix. I dropped it by accident and it splintered. I think roasting the wood might make it weaker. I like the idea of getting the moisture out of it though

Comment

Working...
                              X