Sell my Les Paul Std. or Refret ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell my Les Paul Std. or Refret ?

I never knew much about Pauls, but just found out the Standards, like mine, have the thin flat frets, and the Customs have bigger frets , which I much prefer. ( Does that sound right?)
    Seeing as How I don't play it much anyway at this time, and knowing I don't want it as-is, should I have it refretted somewhere down the road, or should I sell it, and set my sights on a Les Paul Custom someday?
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 11-21-2011, 12:04 AM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: Sell my Les Paul Std. or Refret ?

as long as the refret is done by a total pro, I can't imagine it'd hurt resale value much.

That said, if you're not really an LP guy, I doubt a simple refret will change that.

but what do I know, I don't even like LPs

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
      as long as the refret is done by a total pro, I can't imagine it'd hurt resale value much.

That said, if you're not really an LP guy, I doubt a simple refret will change that.

but what do I know, I don't even like LPs
      I do like Les Pauls. Love 'em. Not worried about taking a hit on the resale, more like taking a hit on the cost of a refret.
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

how about incremental cost of a refret vs. incremental cost of purchasing a Custom?

Comment

I don't think the low wide frets have been used on standard production Customs for quite a long time now. Get a pre-Norlin or a Norlin one and you will probably find them.

If you like them, just have them put on your Standard. The only drawback is that you'll lose the bound fret edges by going to wider frets.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
            I don't think the low wide frets have been used on standard production Customs for quite a long time now. Get a pre-Norlin or a Norlin one and you will probably find them.

If you like them, just have them put on your Standard. The only drawback is that you'll lose the bound fret edges by going to wider frets.
            i dont like bound fret edges...they look nice but thats about it. I prefer the metal to reach all the way when im doing pull offs or vibrato on the top string. So its no big deal to lose the original fret finish, its actually a bonus in terms of playability IMO.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
              i dont like bound fret edges...they look nice but thats about it. I prefer the metal to reach all the way when im doing pull offs or vibrato on the top string. So its no big deal to lose the original fret finish, its actually a bonus in terms of playability IMO.
              I agree. But I thought it was worth mentioning. He might not like it, plus it screams that the guitar has been refretted, even to someone who couldn't figure it out simply based on the non-standard size of the frets.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

My '81 LP Custom with a refret by one of the best (Michael Tuttle, bestfrets.com) is one of the best playing guitars I've ever owned. Great big stainless steel jumbos.

Comment

grrr...that looks nice!
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot View Post
                    My '81 LP Custom with a refret by one of the best (Michael Tuttle, bestfrets.com) is one of the best playing guitars I've ever owned. Great big stainless steel jumbos.

Amazing pic! That makes me drool fo sho'
                    Burny RLG-60, Baton Rouge AR81C/GACE
                    Line6 Helix LT, DV Mark Little 250GH, DV Mark Neoclassic 212

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                    Musicians are ****ing retards.
                    Originally posted by ex-250
                    Beer can never be the source of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                      I never knew much about Pauls, but just found out the Standards, like mine, have the thin flat frets, and the Customs have bigger frets , which I much prefer. ( Does that sound right?)
                      Seeing as How I don't play it much anyway at this time, and knowing I don't want it as-is, should I have it refretted somewhere down the road, or should I sell it, and set my sights on a Les Paul Custom someday?
                      Seeing that it'll probably cost you a couple of hundred for a refret and you're not really using it, you might as well just sell it.

Comment

You've had a Gibson LP Standard for a couple years and just figured out you didn't like it because someone told you that Customs come with bigger frets? Sounds about right coming from you.

The frets on my Custom, Classics and Standards are all pretty close to the same The frets on Dixie are the smaller ones they used to use and the Blue Standard has a stainless jumbo refret. When the others need it, that's what they will get, but it doesn't make such a difference in playing that I want the rest of mine changed over right now.

Comment

Jerry, just replace the frets you actually play on.

Dude, sell it and get something you'll really play.
                          MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
                          Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot View Post

That's some beautiful work! I love ball-end filed frets a la Ibanez J-Custom.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                              Unfortunately the refret hurts resell value pretty badly on a LP std because it usually removes the fret edge binding. Unless you pay a lot more for the refret preserving it which very few people even offer.

Also, if you refret with the objective of getting bigger frets you will need a new nut. Unless the nut was badly done (much too high) in the first place it will be too low to clear the larger frets.

It seems you aren't exactly in love with this std anyway. Off with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X