banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

turns out I like 50s style gibson necks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turns out I like 50s style gibson necks!

played a GREAT double p-90, 50's neck, junior-type gibby today at GC. nice bound neck, nice balance. felt great. lots of tonal options.

I thought I was thinner 60s type dude all the way. Don't think so! Really dug the fatter feel. Solid.

9 bones new, must be what...$700-750 on used market? How much you think you/I could talk a sales guy down Used Car style?

Gas'n big time y'all.

Last edited by DankStar; 11-22-2011, 04:31 PM.

Re: turns out I like 50s style gibson necks!

Cool guits!

You gonna get one???

I started out thinkign I liked necks very thin and very wide...the extra width made it easy to play w/o really knowing what I was doing but the more and more guitars I played the more and more I started to feel "at home" with a fairly narrow but very deep neck...the strigns are closer together so for me it takes more work to do things but I love the way a fat neck fills up my hand...plus I think they sound better!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
      Cool guits!

You gonna get one???

I started out thinkign I liked necks very thin and very wide...the extra width made it easy to play w/o really knowing what I was doing but the more and more guitars I played the more and more I started to feel "at home" with a fairly narrow but very deep neck...the strigns are closer together so for me it takes more work to do things but I love the way a fat neck fills up my hand...plus I think they sound better!
      been gassin' for p-90s for months now; keep looking here and there. this one has all I'm looking for really. just would rather get it used, and have the money ready to go (which it isn't right now, ugh).

also, on this one - neck had a "flub" - looked like the binding was cracked or something in one place, and the nut was kinda scuffed on one end. if I'm dropping 9 on an axe it better be clean as helll. When I get stuff I take care of it, and typically keep it for a long time if it fits the bill. don't want damaged goods.
      Last edited by DankStar; 11-22-2011, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Those are cool guitars. I played one just like that in Guitar Center a few months ago.

Comment

I was the same way. I thought I only liked the 60's necks too, until I bought my Faded Studio LP. I love the 50's neck on it!
          Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

My first favorite necks were V necks, but with a narrow fretboard width. My MIJ Strat had one, and my dad's SG (now mine) had an offset U neck with a narrow nut. Never liked the slim taper "60's" necks.

When did Gibson stop offering a choice of neck profile on LPs? I remember when I got my '04 Standard you could choose '50's or '60's.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

For 6 bills, that would be so full of win....

P-90's, 50's neck? That's a MAN guitar dude. BE the MAN!
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                For 6 bills, that would be so full of win....

P-90's, 50's neck? That's a MAN guitar dude. BE the MAN!
                Yep, but good luck finding one in good shape for $600.

Comment

Working...
                X