Nut Installation (on a Strat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nut Installation (on a Strat)

I'm replacing the old busted nut on my friend's MIJ '96 Strat. It chipped/cracked into two pieces.

I have a new Graphtech Tusq nut ready to go - I've used/installed one of these before on an aftermarket neck, and the nut slot was almost perfect for the Tusq. I had to lower the slots only a touch when I installed it then.

This strat is a bit different. The nut slot is routed a bit deeper than the other neck I installed on. With the new Tusq seated in the slot, the nut slots (completely untouched by me) are just a few hairs above the top of the nut slot, which looks to me, much too low for any set of strings. I decided that I have a few options available to me:

1) Use maple shims to raise the level of the nut to an acceptable level, and then file down the nuts slots to final shape. I have been doing some research and it seems like a lot of people and luthiers even, use pieces of paper, bits of credit card, sticky name tags, and even cardboard as nut shim material. Sounds like a whole bunch of BS to me. I would rather just use a little piece (or a couple pieces) of maple veneer clamped down with a sparse amount of glue to keep everything together

2) get an unshaped flat-bottom nut, cut it to size, radius it, shape string slots, file, etc. - saves the work of shimming, but adds a bunch more work too.

3) Get a new Tusq nut and try the whole thing again.

I think at this point, #1 makes the most sense to me. #2, I don't have all the tools I need to do that, and #3 I think has just as much chance of epic failure as giving up and not working on this guitar at all.

Thoughts? suggestions?
    Last edited by CTN; 11-27-2011, 11:22 PM.

Re: Nut Installation (on a Strat)

Have you strung the guitar up?

Most of the time nut slots are too tall, so you may be in the clear. Tune it to pitch and then press the string on the third fret.

When pressed down does the string touch the first fret?
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Go with what Ayrton says, but for a bit of background info, be aware that if you follow Dan Erlewine's process, the bottom of the nut slot is only something like .008" higher than the fret height. It really isn't much at all, so you may well find yourself good to go once you string up and tune to pitch.
      Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I haven't strung it up yet, but it just looks awfully low when it's sitting in the slot.

I was a bit surprised, because I know the aftermarket replacement nuts are supposed to be tall, which gives people room for fine adjustment. I'll do a string up tomorrow, but if it is low, I could use the shim method, right? I mean as long as the parts are all tight fitting and are glued/clamped well, the effect of having a shim would essentially be negated right? at least, it'll be less of an effect compared to say, a piece of cardboard or a piece of credit card.... :S

In any case, thanks for the advice guys, I'll have a go at it tomorrow and report back when I can. Cheers!

Comment

Not trying to be a jerk, but you are not going to be able to tell anything just by eye. String tension and neck relief will play into this, so you have to string up the guitar to pitch using the size strings you plan to use.

If the strings slots are tall enough to clear the first fret (with the guitar set up), you are good to go.
          -Chris

Comment

lol no no, i totally understand what you mean, Ayrton, just wanted to try and figure out all the possibilities that might present themselves and solutions to go with em.

But like I said, I'll string her up today and make the appropriate measurements and let you guys know how it goes

Comment

String it up and set it up how it is to be used. That is the correct way to adjust slots.

Let us know how it goes.
              -Chris

Comment

+1
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

And just in case you missed it - Basic Guitar Setup
                  Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

FWIW, I'd never shim a nut unless it was a metal Floyd or LSR nut.

If Ayrton's advise doesn't work out and the slots are too low, save the nut for another guitar and cut/shape a brand new blank......buy a few in case you mess up.

And if you don't own nut files, invest in a set. I bought the Warmoth ones for $60. It seems overpriced, but they pay for themselves after a few jobs.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Well, it is a bit low. All the strings are hitting the first fret when I press down at the third fret.

:\

But man the guitar sounds awesome, thick and swampy pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
                        Well, it is a bit low. All the strings are hitting the first fret when I press down at the third fret.
                        That is not necessarily a bad thing. Are they clearing the first fret open with no buzz?

Cutting the slots until the string just touches the first fret (pressed at third) is how many people set the slots.
                        -Chris

Comment

Yep, open they clear the first fret no prob. Fretted at third fret, all of the strings touch the 1st fret, but only just.

I played the guitar for at least 30 mins yesterday with the nut just pressed into the slot, and it seemed to be doing fine, no huge intonation or tuning problems. Although the saddles are really badly worn and I might have to get some new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
                            Yep, open they clear the first fret no prob. Fretted at third fret, all of the strings touch the 1st fret, but only just.
                            Thats perfect!

Glue the nut in and rock it!
                            -Chris

Comment

Working...
                            X