Fixin' up a Peavey Predator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixin' up a Peavey Predator

I told my friend I would fix up his guitar. It was in sad shape when I uncovered it this weekend. Many parts missing. I'm hoping you can help me tally up everything that I'll need to fix this and possibly suggest specific sources to find parts that will fit.

Re: Fixin' up a Peavey Predator

No worries about electronics. I've got the original pickguard (empty) and can figure that out. My concern is the hardware. Here is what I'll need:

-Spring claw and two screws, and 6 springs (can get all of this stuff on ebay for a few bucks from China)
    -Two tuners: I need to figure out which types of tuners will fit, can I use standard strat parts?
    -Three bridge saddles: can I use standard start parts?
    -Output jack and plate, no problem getting this

Did I forget anything? Please let me know if you have advice for acquiring any of these parts for cheap. Thanks!

P.S. as for the electronics, if I can get a couple of single coils for free I'm going to use the original pickguard and buy a GFS Lil Killer. If not, I am going to buy a single humbucker pickguard and put a cheap high output humbucker in there. Maybe a dragonfire screamer or gfs crunchy pat.

Comment

Forgot to mention the strap buttons, but I have plenty of those around.

Comment

I've got a set of saddles from a reactor tele that should be the same ones. The tuners are an odd size hole and don't fit anything without being reamed out, but I put some Planet Waves jobbies in with no problem once I reamed the holes. They really need another string tree for the 3rd & 4th strings, and the truss rod is really flimsy, so don't twist on it too hard.

Comment

Just the tuners to deal with now. Everything else should be a piece of cake. Any ideas where to get these tuners, or am I stuck with having to buy and drill holes for a new set?

Comment

It is common knowledge in the Peavey community that nothing aftermarket fits Peavey tuner holes.

U GOTSTA REAM N BUY
            my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

I think my tuners ended up in the trash, but I'll take a look when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                It is common knowledge in the Peavey community that nothing aftermarket fits Peavey tuner holes.

U GOTSTA REAM N BUY
                Time to learn a new skill. I guess that is what this project is all about. Also, I found the end all be all of peavey predator tuning threads:

Comment

So heres a dumb question. how bout I just ream two of them? The guitar is going to look like **** anyway. He doesn't want me to remove the stickers. Is there any particular reason that the tuners would all have to be the same?

Comment

No reason for the tuners to match, but the stock ones are pretty bad. I'd look for a set of grover mini's on ebay or something. You'll need a step bit to ream the holes to do the job right, and they're not cheap, but they come in handy for lot's of stuff. I use mine all the time.

Comment

I just bought that same guitar (albeit in much better shape) a couple months ago.

-Put new tuners on it! The originals suck. Much to my dismay, the company I work for uses those same tuners on our dulcimers...they are terrible.

I put the staggered locking ones from GFS on mine and they work fine.

-I've been thinking about putting a GFS bridge on mine and pitching the stock one. Maybe you want it? I also have the original pickups. Not sure if I want to get rid of those yet.

Not a bad guitar after its been gutted and had new tuners put on.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS. View Post
                        -I've been thinking about putting a GFS bridge on mine and pitching the stock one. Maybe you want it? I also have the original pickups. Not sure if I want to get rid of those yet.
                        Please follow up if you decide you don't want those parts, I'd love to have 'em. I'm hoping King Izzo's saddles will work for this bridge. It would be nice to have two of the stock pickups so that I could use the stock pickguard and load the bridge with my pickup of choice. The bridge pickup is where I really take care of business so that won't be stock.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS. View Post
                          -Put new tuners on it! The originals suck. Much to my dismay, the company I work for uses those same tuners on our dulcimers...they are terrible.
                          Would you be willing to hook me up with the stock tuners that you replaced? I'd gladly pay for shipping and even a little extra.

Comment

I dug around for the tuners I pulled off, I must've trashed them, but yeah, highly recommend better tuners.

Comment

I hear what you're sayin' about the tuners, but I'm definitely not going to spend that much dough on this guitar. If it is at all possible to get some crappy stock tuners on here, I'm going to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X