Marshall Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Mod

I've seen this guy on e-bay a few times and it looks like he's doing some interesting things with Marshall Plexi mods, like a Master volume and ....

Here are his sound clips: http://www.davidbrayamps.com/soundclips.htm

His name is David Bray and if that's him on the soundclips, he's a good player. I'd love to have one of those but even with the Master Volume mod, wouldn't it still be too loud for home use?
    GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
    KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Re: Marshall Mod

Whoah....NICE soundin amp!
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I must say it again...WHOAH...NIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCEEEE soundin' amp...

I may just send my 1987 off to him...wow.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

That guys really is a good player, but man that bottom end is a flubby mess. Sounds like a rat pedal through a crate. LOL.... Just kidding, but it is flubby.

Check out the Splawn Mod http://splawnguitars.com
        Dirrty Hairy - A Tribute To Hair Metal

'05 Splawn/Mansel Custom Strat
        '95 PRS Custom 24
        '89 PRS CE 24

'05 Splawn Quick Rod
        '04 Splawn Quick Rod
        Splawn 4-12
        Marshall JCM 800 4-12

Comment

Dave Brays amps sound fantastic. He will tweak any RI into Brown Sound perfection.
          ]
          FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Originally posted by DirrtyCraig
            Check out the Splawn Mod http://splawnguitars.com
            The Splawn sounds very good as well, but doesn't sound quite as "sweet" to my ears.

Comment

Brays sound clips are better than Splawns IMO. Especially the ones on Splawns site with the guy from the Van Halen tribute band. He doesn't quite sound like Eddy. Amp vendors should get the best possible players to demo their stuff. Sometimes I check out sites of small amp vendors and the guy who made the amp can't really play and he's doing the demos. Brays demos have good tone.

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Another guy to check out is Mark Cameron. He does the Jose Arrendondo mods as well as a higher gain mod named after Doug Aldrich.

Comment

Last night I spent alot of time listening to the Splawns, Voodoos, and Bray soundclips. Of course not everything was equal, playing or equipment wise, but I really tried to concentrate on the sound of the amp itself/gain structure.

To my ears the Bray's still came out on top. The Voodoos, and Splawns didn't sound too different than my plexi does now goosed with a pedal (which is a sound I absolutely love).But they still sound excellent...and I'd be happy with any of them.

The Bray mods have a certain clarity and character I don't think could be achieved with a plexi and pedal combo. Very refined but still holds it's integrity: Still sounds like a Marshall, and not a modded/goosed Marshall..if that makes sense.

I believe that's my next "major" purchase along with a 1/2x12 cab. I like my Valvetronix, but there's no substitute for El34s

Comment

That's exactly what I think. "It sounds like a Marshall." I think part of the reason I like Bray's so much is because I'm oldschool. I want that hard-rock Marshall sound. Whatever it is, Brays mods, or at least his sound-clips, deliver it. I like my Valvetronix, too, but, those tones really make you re-evalute this whole modelling thing. I wonder if a Bray modded Marshall will sound good at bedroom volume?

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Just an observation, but I noticed alot of the bluesy type players, based on your gear and some sound clips some of you guys have posted... bluesier guys seems to gravitate more towards the Bray mod, but if you need a tight bottom VH, Metal, Hard Rock style sound I think you'd be incredibly dissappointed. My buddy bought a
                      Bray modded Plexi and is one of the guys who sold his on Ebay. Spending the time playing through that is the reason I chose the Splawn stuff. Tight as a 18 years olds @ss , brown, warm, crunchy goodness. And for the blues guys, the clean channel is a dream.

Just my opinion having spent quality time with both.

'95 PRS Custom 24
                      '89 PRS CE 24

'05 Splawn Quick Rod
                      '04 Splawn Quick Rod
                      Splawn 4-12
                      Marshall JCM 800 4-12

Comment

I really don't know which is better. I just prefer Bray's sound-clips. That's the style I like. Splawns sound-clips don't do it for me. Sound clips can be a bit misleading, though, based on my experience. The ones on the THD site for the Univalve site sound great, but they mix them with reverb and the Univalve doesn't have reverb. A bit misleading IMO. I hear what your saying, and I would want to try both before buying. Thanks

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Cameron JMP clips from HC:

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=13715

Latest technology news, how-to guides, product reviews and software downloads.

For some reason MP3Lizard has the suffix on all these file names as .mp3[1] and the [1] screws up my computer so it doesn't know what program to open them with. You may have to 'save as' and rename it with a .mp3 suffix - unless someone can tell me how to edit the label in MP3 Lizard, I couldn't figure it out.

Comment

mrid, I like the Cameron clips alot better than the Bray. Very cool. It helps to have a good player too. I still like the mid-range honk of the Splawn stuff. It seems to have a tigher grain to the distortion without the looseness of the Bray or Cameron.

Also, just a shout out. This is a kick-@ass thread. I'm glad I joined this board. you guys are all real knowledgeable and turning me on to some cool stuff. Can't believe I never visited before.

'95 PRS Custom 24
                            '89 PRS CE 24

'05 Splawn Quick Rod
                            '04 Splawn Quick Rod
                            Splawn 4-12
                            Marshall JCM 800 4-12

Comment

There are definitely different flavors of plexi out there. I'm really digging the Bray sound clips. I like the looser, less gain, more compression type tone.

Cameron's stuff is a bit too aggressive and tight to me. It just doesn't strike me as warm or compressed as Brays. I'd love to hear more about Splawn's stuff, I've heard really good things about the Quick Rod (which I noticed you have on order).
                              Originally posted by kevlar3000
                              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                              Originally posted by Zerberus
                              Better is often the enemy of good
                              Originally posted by ginormous
                              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
                              X