Played 3 Gibsons yesterday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played 3 Gibsons yesterday...

The Midtown Custom, ES339, and Les Paul Traditional. Each played acoustically, then thru a Mesa Mini Recto.

First, I wanted to try and compare the Midtown Custom and the ES339. Both guitars I've contemplated buying. The Midtwon and 339 are similar in size with the Midtown having a slightly thinner waist. The Midtown is a beautifully crafted guitar with all the "Custom" appoointments. Binding, block inlays, very attractive vintage sunburst finish that varied from light to dark on different parts of the guitar like the back of the neck. Very classy looking instrument. The mahogany back appeared to be 2 pieces, the maple top appeared to be 3. Acoustically, it sounded like a Les Paul played acoustically, only louder. To confirm this, I picked up the LP Traditional for comparison. Yep, very similar. Took some time to get over the fact that this guitar was flat. Flat back and top. Not sure why thats a turn off for me, but it was.

The ES339 retained all the things I love about the ES335, but in a smaller package. Acoustically, it sounded more like a semi hollow similar to a ES335, but slightly brighter with less noticeable low end.

Plugged into the Mesa Mini Recto all 3 guitars sounded amazing. Maybe I was just drooling over the amp... see my other thread in the amp room. The Midtown was first and sure enuff it sounded like an LP but didn't feel like one. Nice crunch and bright top end. Sounded more open and airy just like a chamered LP. So, I plugged in the LP Traditional next. Maple fretboard was hardly distinguishable from rosewood. Looked very nice and unless you already knew it was baked maple I bet you couldn't tell the difference. Plugged in, it sounded just like an LP should.

Next was the ES339. Sounded just like a semi hollow should. Clean, articulate, very smooth on the bass notes. IMO, this guitar was the best of the bunch when plugged into the Mini. They both seemed to work in tandem the guitar's clean & smooth articulation with the Mini's ability to shimmer with just the right amount of bass. I'm not talking about low end vibration, but that upper register of bass that just sounds smooth and balanced.

Overall, the Midtown Custom is a great guitar with Les Paul-ish tones. With 'custom' cosmetics, this guitar is a real value - if you can get over it being so flat. The 339 is going to be an instant classic. If you want ES335 tones in a smaller, lighter package, this is for you. I will say that I do prefer the extra weight and bulk of a real 335. Maybe size does have something to do with mojo.

Thanks,

Lex
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Re: Played 3 Gibsons yesterday...

Awesome - thanks for sharing, man. I have been really curious about the Midtown, and I am in love with the idea of the 339 as well, thanks for giving your impressions.
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

339 is my favorite release from Gibson hands down (recently). A friend of mine got a custom shop one, fitted it with seth lovers. Incredibly versatile guitar, won't feed back either. I'd take one over a Les Paul (less weight, more tone IMO)
      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Love my 339.

I can safely say that one isn't going anywhere.
        -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

I still haven't seen a Midtown in store.

How did the fretboard feel on that Midtown Custom? Obviously synthetic or believably wood like?
          ---------------------------
          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
            I still haven't seen a Midtown in store.

How did the fretboard feel on that Midtown Custom? Obviously synthetic or believably wood like?
            Looking at the specs for the Midtown Custom, I was surprised to see that its Black Richlite - whatever that is... Honestly, when I played the Midtown I failed to notice. I did notice the frets and binding along the neck felt superb. Not sure what fret size was used, but they felt slightly larger than what I'm used to on some Gibsons. Neck shape was 60's slim taper - which is my preference so it felt very natural and chording and bending was a breeze. Tonewise, there was nothing negligible about the sound that could be attributed to the neck.

I know there's been alot of attention to the fretboard material Gibson has been using. But once played, its really easy to forget that its not rosewood. I'm sure some cork sniffers will A/B compare them and say one is better than the other, but for the working musician I don't this much of a concern, especially after playing both the toasted maple and Richlite.

DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Oh, I'm not that concerned about the tone. If it's brighter than I want, I have a knob for that. Ditto darker. Just curious if it jumped out as feeling somehow wrong.
              The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

Nah, bro. It felt just fine. Totally didn't even cross my mind that it wasn't ebony or rosewood for that matter.

What is Richlite anyways? Totally synthetic? I never heard of a Richlite tree...

DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

My understanding is that it's wood pulp or sawdust mixed with a hard resin.

Originally posted by lex666 View Post
                  What is Richlite anyways? Totally synthetic? I never heard of a Richlite tree...

Comment

Now would be the time to start buying up cheap old Epiphones with rosewood boards to supply to luthiers replacing the synthetic ones on people's guitars.
                    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

People are stupid. But they're not THAT stupid...right?

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                      Now would be the time to start buying up cheap old Epiphones with rosewood boards to supply to luthiers replacing the synthetic ones on people's guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by lex666 View Post

What is Richlite anyways?

It's Bakelite.

The name is only different because of trademark laws. Like Kleenex.
                        my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                          It's Bakelite.

The name is only different because of trademark laws. Like Kleenex.
                          Really?

Then they're not building these to last.

Doesn't bakelite kind of break down and deform / almost melt over many years?

Look at all the old bakelite parts on guitars from the 50s and 60s....
                          -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Deep down, I have GAS for a natural midtown custom.
                            My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                            The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                            Originally posted by CTN
                            I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                            FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

I honestly like the simpler cosmetics of the Midtown Standard better. I'm not a big fan of black guitars usually, but this just looks like sex in a tuxedo to me: Love those white knobs and rings against the ebony.

Comment

Working...
                              X