Guys help, I think I'm addicted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys help, I think I'm addicted!

I think I have the Eddie Van Halen syndrome; I am obsessed with super strats. I'm so happy with the tone I'm getting from them, the versatility, the feel... just everything. After working on my G&L and converting the single coil bridge route to a humbucker and setting it up, I'm hooked!

Except now, one guitar isn't enough. My Grosh is amazing, my G&L rocks and I still think about other S-S-H guitars I can design... I think it's a sickness

Anyone else here in the same boat?
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: Guys help, I think I'm addicted!

yep

except its fenders altogether
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

H-S-S is my favorite pickup combo! Unless it's a Humbucker From Hell-S-H

The beauty of these setups is, you can go from 80's metal insanity one second and ,at the flick of a switch, be in classic Hendrix territory the next.
      Watch My Videos
      Photography
      www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
      "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

I had my vintage looking(sort of) 'super Strat' made to my specs, only I left out the middle single coil pup. I just can't get used to playing around a middle pup. So I had a SSl-1 and a Blues Trembucker installed, and those pretty much cover my tone needs. Two positions sound like a Strat, and the bridge can either sound like EVH or a classic Les Paul tone depending on my amp settings.
        Not a 5150 Kramer, but a 5149 1/2 Shamer
        www.bigmouthbetty.com

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
          It is a total sickness, I assure you. Most all of us have it and there is no stopping it. You just have to supress the guilt associated with spending so much money on new gear. GAS is a total big-diggity beeyatch.
          Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

I love the super Strat!
            If you wanna play a killer one, do yourself a favour and play an ESP George Lynch M1 Tiger. You will never be the same!!!
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
              I love the super Strat!
              If you wanna play a killer one, do yourself a favour and play an ESP George Lynch M1 Tiger. You will never be the same!!!
              They have killer paint jobs, that's for sure I love that bright orange one, but I think all the members in the audience would cringe

To me, I NEED the middle single coil. THE strat tones I hear on records are usually the inbetween sounds. There's a quack that two good single coils will give you that's just amazing. I love the middle and neck single coils together for blues. For fusion and when I need a really thick and smooth solo tone, I use the neck sc and blend it with the bridge. For rock, I just use the bridge humbucker. The middle sc alone gives a great rhythm clean tone. I like using the neck sc alone sometimes as well. The only position I don't use a lot is the bridge and the middle combined. Oh yeah, and I can get a pretty decent jazz tone by combining the neck with the bridge humbucker and rolling back the master tone control.
              Originally posted by kevlar3000
              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
              Originally posted by Zerberus
              Better is often the enemy of good
              Originally posted by ginormous
              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
                Yep, Super Strats float my boat. And der ain't nuddin wrong widat!!

Comment

Have that ole Kramer....it was born as a superstrat...but I recently converted my old 84 Tokai back to standart strat setup....I still need that real strat sound that no splits or seriel or parrallel switching will do, plus it keeps me sharp using an instrument that really wants you to mean it before you play it, anyways I am going to get a strat or two more soon, one total stock and then I am going to get one with a single hummer...hehe

Comment

Funny you should mention that , im lookin' on warmoth for a the past while lookin at makin a custom super strat type thingy, complete with Kramer style headstock
                    Marshall JVM 410C
                    Mesa Boogie DC-3
                    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

I have one Strat with the stock single coils, and another with 2 humbuckers. I'm not sure if I want to keep both, or just turn the S/S/S into a H/S/S, and sell the H/H.

Comment

if you love the guitar, change out the pickguard and/or pickups. never sell a guitar you love the feel of because you hate the sound, most things can be changed

also, the second you sell it is the second you'll want it back.

Comment

Yep super-strats have become my guitar of choice. I prefer the classic look and feel of the Fender itself (and the Charvel, Carvin, etc copies) over the other brands, but I've had some nice super-strats from Jackson, Charvel, Ibanez, etc. too.

It's a very versatile instrument whether it's a H-S-S or H-S-H (I also have to have the middle single coil to have that quack, and for blues type things)

One of the real nice things is if you prefer to keep your Fender Strat looking "stock", Duncan has a bunch of pickups that can give you the humbucker sound and retain the stock look.
                          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
                          X