Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokai Love Rocks

Hey guys

I was in a musicstore yesterday and played 1 or 2 guitars i liked. They had 3 Tokais in there and liked themquiet a lot, It was the first time i had ever played a Les Paul type guitar so it was an experience
    The first two I played were "Love Rock Model" 's . One had Made In Japan at the back of the Headstock and the other (the one that didnt really feel as nice) didn't. The last one i played felt really nice, the Neck was thinner than the Other two . It really felt very well made and Played Great. But it didn't have andthing on the Headstock apart from "Tokai" And a little design that looked similar to that that Gibson Custom models have. It was still a Single Cut Les Paul shape but no indication to what model. I asked a passing staff guy and told me it was €1300 but thats all i got to ask him as it was quiet busy as it's the biggest music Shop In Dublin and its only a few more days now till christmas. So would any of you guys be able to tell me what model I was Playing ..??

Cheers
    Marshall JVM 410C
    Mesa Boogie DC-3
    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Re: Tokai Love Rocks

Originally posted by y2stevo
    Hey guys

I was in a musicstore yesterday and played 1 or 2 guitars i liked. They had 3 Tokais in there and liked themquiet a lot, It was the first time i had ever played a Les Paul type guitar so it was an experience
    The first two I played were "Love Rock Model" 's . One had Made In Japan at the back of the Headstock and the other (the one that didnt really feel as nice) didn't. The last one i played felt really nice, the Neck was thinner than the Other two . It really felt very well made and Played Great. But it didn't have andthing on the Headstock apart from "Tokai" And a little design that looked similar to that that Gibson Custom models have. It was still a Single Cut Les Paul shape but no indication to what model. I asked a passing staff guy and told me it was €1300 but thats all i got to ask him as it was quiet busy as it's the biggest music Shop In Dublin and its only a few more days now till christmas. So would any of you guys be able to tell me what model I was Playing ..??

Cheers

I have a limited edition Tokai Love Rock 2001 model...Absolutely love mine! Go on over to www.tokairegistry.com and peak all around the site..I donated articles and alot of time to that website before hooking up with all of you on this great website...There are serial numbers,photos,and a bunch on very knowledgable "Tokai Whores" on the site....Hook up with Ned also...Best of luck...The Tokai Japan Love Rocks are one of the best bangs for the buck! Hands down!

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Steve,

I miss my one and regret selling it but as I have so many other guitars something had to give. My one was a '98 LS-75Q (Quilt Top) and it played beautifully and was up there with some of the best and would give some of the Gibby LPs a good run for their money.

You will have to be very careful with some of the Tokais and the claim that they are Made in Japan, as some may just be overegging it a litle bit. You should check that the serial number is on the back of the headstock (see link below):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...Paul/Tok_6.jpg

...and the cover over the truss rod (see link below) should be like a bell with just two screws holding the cover on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...Paul/Tok_3.jpg

I am not sure what model that you are referring to as they are quite a number of different variants, but if it is an LS 70F (Flame Maple top), LS75Q or a LS 80F then it is going to be one helluva a guitar.

Norman
      Normans Guitars

Comment

Thanks Guys. Im not sure if i'll ever see that one again now thought as it will probobly be quiet some time before im in there again and as its christmas im sure someone will end up with it, but with the high price tag I wouldn't have been picking it up anytime soon anyway.
        Could you tell me what the Common neck shapes are with Les Pauls, I always hear about 50's 60's necks ??Dunno much about them though..

Thanks Guys
        Marshall JVM 410C
        Mesa Boogie DC-3
        ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
        1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
        2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
        2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
        1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
        2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
        1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Where can one buy Tokais here in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by y2stevo
            Could you tell me what the Common neck shapes are with Les Pauls, I always hear about 50's 60's necks ??Dunno much about them though..
            I can't quote exact dimensions but basically 60s necks are slimmer than 50s necks. The width of the fingerboard remains the same, it's just the depth front to back that's different. A 50s neck is bigger to hold in your hand.

My 96 Standard has a 50s neck and my 91 Classic has a 60s neck. They feel different to play. I have quite small hands and the 60s neck lets my fingers go further, and the top fret access is easier. But the chunky 50s neck is so comfortable for chording and also allows me to get more "push" behind the strings for bending. It's hard to explain - try both. 50s neck fatter, 60s neck slimmer.

Comment

Working...
            X