Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Jolly Roger - My strat build

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
    I got the neck plate and the contoured heel screws from warmoth itself!

but the way the heel is, it looks like I should be using one long screw and three short screws, cuz only one corner is remotely close to the thickness needed for the long screws. all the other holes are of a thickness that would necessitate short screws, imo.
    Interesting. On their site they show a pic that shows the two short ones at the top of the heel (closest to the peghead) and the two long ones at the bottom. I would think a short one would be needed for both on the treble side.

Comment

because I will inevitably look at this thread later, this is a reminder to myself that I need to go buy toothpicks to fill the misaligned jackplate and p/g holes.
      I don't think toothpics are a good idea. The smallest diameter hardwood dowel at the hardware store goes in the bridge screw holes perfectly tight , also use a little wood glue, let it dry and then you redrill. I do use toothpics for stuff like loose pickguard screw holes though.
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
        Interesting. On their site they show a pic that shows the two short ones at the top of the heel (closest to the peghead) and the two long ones at the bottom. I would think a short one would be needed for both on the treble side.

http://www.warmoth.com/Neck-Screw-Se...-P144C847.aspx
        Yep, the treble side and the peghead side both need short screws, so that's three total.

I've tried every possible combination and there's always one long screw that maxes out the mounting hole before being screwed all the way in. gonna see if I can get just get a new one at home depot or somethin.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
          I don't think toothpics are a good idea. The smallest diameter hardwood dowel at the hardware store goes in the bridge screw holes perfectly tight , also use a little wood glue, let it dry and then you redrill. I do use toothpics for stuff like loose pickguard screw holes though.
          For the jackplate and pg mounting holes, dowel is way too big.

If I actually needed to redrill the bridge mounting holes (and I don't need to) then I'd use dowel.

Comment

Yep, the treble side and the peghead side both need short screws, so that's three total.

I've tried every possible combination and there's always one long screw that maxes out the mounting hole before being screwed all the way in. gonna see if I can get just get a new one at home depot or somethin.
            That's definitely a good idea. I'd send them an email stating as such and include pics. They need to adjust their info and/or screws for the contoured heel.

Comment

FWIW I've used toothpicks for that same reason a bunch of times with great success. Soak em in woodglue, jam em in there, cut em as close as you can with wire cutters then carefully sand em down. Perfect.

Comment

Goddammit.

I went out, got some screws, got some extra sandpaper, wood glue, and latex gloves.

COMPLETELY FORGOT TO GET TOOTHPICKS.

Comment

#1, awesome project!

#2, definitely use the correct screws. I think you got them today, which is good. There is nothing special about the "warmoth" or "fender" screw. Any will do (as long as it is the correct size).

#3, love the bridge and tuner black/chrome idea. I like the chrome tuner nuts with the black knob and tuner. While you are at it, ever think of using black graphtech saddles instead of the crappy GFS saddles?
                  -=The Dali
                  --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

These are the screws I got from Home Depot, on the left. I wanted to get Phillips head screws, but they didn't have any in the size/thread I need.

bastards. I almost never find exactly what I'm looking for at home depot. Always have to compromise. These particular screws have the right thread size and diameter, and even the right size countersunk head. but they are robertson head. For you Americans/rest of the world people who have no idea what I'm talking about, the Robertson head was invented by a Canadian dude named Robertson. The screwdriver NEVER slips. EVER. It's a friggin awesome design, but it's also a pain in the ass having everything other screw on the guitar be a phillips head, and having only the neck screws be robertsons. Check it out:

Given my absent mindedness and lack of toothpicks, I did the only other things I could: Finished filing down the fret ends and masked up the frets themselves, as well as the body cavities.

Ok for serious, tomorrow I'm going to get those damn toothpicks, finish dealing with the misaligned holes, and then get ready to prime/paint/clear coat.

Speaking of which....I'm using oil based primer/paint/clear coat. I'm guessing much like almost any other type of sprayed finish, I will need to wet sand, polish and buff the final clear coat. My problem here is that stupid home depot doesn't sell ANY polishing compounds, and they don't even know what I'm talking about when I ask for an abrasive polishing compound. They sell all the lacquer and polyurethane you could desire but no way to bring it up to a flawless high gloss. Go figure.

Does anyone know if I would I be able to use an automotive polishing compoud like Meguiar's?

Comment

I've seen the Robertson screws before. Ingenious to say the least.

It probably would have been better to drill the screw holes after painting. It forces you to be more patient and make sure everything is lined up perfect before any drilling is done.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Comment

I could still do that (drilling after painting). Would still need to fill the old holes though.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
                          #1, awesome project!

#2, definitely use the correct screws. I think you got them today, which is good. There is nothing special about the "warmoth" or "fender" screw. Any will do (as long as it is the correct size).

#3, love the bridge and tuner black/chrome idea. I like the chrome tuner nuts with the black knob and tuner. While you are at it, ever think of using black graphtech saddles instead of the crappy GFS saddles?
                          Thanks dude!

funny you mention the graphtech saddles, cuz I have a set on my strat, and it's got almost exactly the same look as what I've got planned for the Jolly Roger. I really dig them, they add a bit more beef and warmth to the sound of the guitar. That said, I think I'd rather see how the Jolly Roger does with regular saddles first, and then decide if it's worth spending the money on graphtechs. They're like $60 a set here.

Comment

YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH B*TCHES!!!!!!!!! Ah dun got me summa dem tootpecks!

I still haven't found a polishing compound. This is beginning to worry me a bit because I'm getting dangerously close to the finishing stage, and if I haven't got it all planned out perfectly, I'm not going to start.

Went to another home depot today, they had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for buffing creams or polishing compounds. Went to Lowe's, and they had no idea either. WTF?!?! Does nobody here buff their clear coats?!

I ended up emailing rustoleum for advice, and Meguiar's too (they make automotive polishing stuff), and I also posted a message on facebook addressed to a few luthiers I know in the hopes that I might be able to get some sort of answer.

Comment

Anyone have any tips on polishing waterbased acrylic enamel?

Comment

Got to an auto parts store for the buffing compounds. They have everything you need including sandpaper up to 2000 grit. As for paint, go with acrylic lacquer. It goes on much nicer than enamel and easier to work with, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X