Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ebony fretboards are my life now

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    I think you either had extreme conditions, a cheap guitar, or a lemon.
    It was a 2000 Gibson Les Paul Classic.

Granted it sat out of its case most of the time, but I had a USA Dean Soltero w/ ebony fretboard sit in the same room next to the same radiator without issues.

Neither guitars were cheap or lemons, and the rosewood dried quicker.
    AccountKiller

Comment

I to love ebony, My 84 charvel has an ebony board, so does my LPC, Rose wood works in a pinch, and have a couple maple boarded guitars left, the best out of the bunch I had. GJL Charvel, and CS Charvel.

Comment

Welcome to the fold, OP. I accidentally ended up owning two guitars which both have Ebony fretboard. I love it!
        --------------------------------------------------------
        1973 Aria 551
        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by DTrane View Post
          Ive been wanting to try ebony. Hard to come across lefty.

btw, Alpine White Gibsons, tend to come with ebony fb's. Alpine white LP studio is like a poor mans Custom
          Yep, love those for that reason
          my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

White Gibson Explorers have had them from the early '90's forward.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Can't beat the feel of ebony.
              My #1 has an ebony board and that is a major reason why.
              I wish Fender had more offerings with ebony boards.

Watch out for the dyed rosewood !

Comment

I actually prefer dyed rosewood, for tonal reasons. But as long as the ebony board is on a mahogany neck and not on a maple neck, it doesn't make much difference. Maple neck and ebony board is a tonally dead combo that sucks treble away IME. However, that can sound quite good on some acoustics, a it mellows them out.
                Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I guess I was lucky to get my LP Jr DC when I did then. Mine's got an ebony board. Now they're being made with obliche.
                  -
                  My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

I have a Madagascar Rose wood Washburn D46SCE , it's fretboard is also Madagascar rose wood too .

I love it as you can see the wear after 10 years playing , I like the way I can dig into to it when I bend strings .

My Godin LGXSA on the other hand is an ebony fret board :

They are different feeling the rose wood from the ebony , the ebony seems like the slide action when bending is really super smooth and I can hear how I can really show off a notes dynamics in a more deliberate manner . The rose wood feels warm and clear and some how I get this " grit " kind of edge sound compared to the ebony .

I guess this difference is a key to the midi triggering being faster and more accurate with the ebony as is stated by the Godin guitar company .

Can't say I like one better than the other , I can say I love them both like two children a parent has , each one is loved for the reasons of their differences .

My nylon Hondo is a sleeper of a guitar with it's ebony fret board it's a dreamy little sounding guitar .
                    This guitar was left for dead and I resurrected it to it's present state and it's a clean little fast actioned guitar that sounds absolutely wonderful . It's top is a solid cedar piece and the back and sides are mahogany . I put Gold plated machine heads from Spain .

Easy All :

Hurricane Ramon
                    It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Comment

I don't think fretboards make any difference in tone at all, but they do feel different and to me ebony feels the best.

I'm also pretty content with my satin finish maple fretboard, it has a pretty good feel.
                      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092 View Post
                        I don't think fretboards make any difference in tone at all, but they do feel different and to me ebony feels the best.

I'm also pretty content with my satin finish maple fretboard, it has a pretty good feel.
                        ==================================================

Howzit man :

Dunno fer sher man but I have a Harmony Strat with a maple neck and I just don't get the

" feel "

of it like I do with the rose or ebony on my fingers as far as how it

" feeeeeeels "

on my finger tips .

It's kind of

[ HARD ]

and , well it doesn't feel good to me so far .

Maybe If I play it exclusively for 6 months and not pick up the others I might get to like it , as I said I dunno so far ?

I do like it a lot though , it's a gutsy playing thang , kicks serious butt sound and action wise , it's a cool guitar I call

" Sarge "

after my best friend's dad who owned it and was then given to me after he died . My buddy's dad had it really nicely set up too and I got it in a brand new state . At first I thought it was going to be a let down sound and action wise but as I said It's a great guitar .

What I do know is those rose and ebony fretboards do feeeeeel good to my finger tips . Seems like the notes are cleaner like rose wood compared to mahogany in the ring of a guitar's body .

As far as tone , I think there is a difference but not a difference as far as one being better or worse than the other - kind of like apples and oranges type thing in my ear and mind's eye . When I get on one of them ( doesn't matter which one ) in my hands I can spend hours having a ball playing them with out realizing it .

Once you get the action down to your particular feel and comfort zone it's a piece of cake . The guitars seem to urge you on and on .

Happy playin man , easy :

Hurricane Ramon
                        It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Comment

I think the tonal difference between fretboard woods is quite slight, but it does exist, if only by way of affecting how the neck wood itself vibrates.
                          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Working...
                          X