banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Volume Swells -- Audio or Linear Taper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Volume Swells -- Audio or Linear Taper?

I have an audio taper pot in my Kramer Nightswan, and I noticed that I can't do volume swells as well as my other guitars (ALL my guitars have audio taper pots for volume). Should I put a linear taper pot in there?

Also, I did a "treble bleed" mod to it, so I'm not sure if that is really relevant to this issue. But I just put this out in there because this was also the only guitar I did the mod with.

Re: For Volume Swells -- Audio or Linear Taper?

I cannot answer your question in a technical sense, but check out the SD pots that are made for that kind of stuff.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

"Normally" you want an audio taper for volume control...Our ears are used to hearing the audio taper...Normally Linear taper for the tone controls,but anything goes!
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
        I cannot answer your question in a technical sense, but check out the SD pots that are made for that kind of stuff.
        The Duncan pots doesn't say if they're audio or linear taper. And not a lot of online merchants have them?

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
        "Normally" you want an audio taper for volume control...Our ears are used to hearing the audio taper...Normally Linear taper for the tone controls,but anything goes!
        \

I noticed that most of the pots in effects pedals (my MIJ DS1 for example) and amps have linear taper pots.

Although, I think the treble bleed mod I did my be the culprit. I'll try to remove that mod and see how the volume swells will be.

Comment

Audio taper is more of a logarithmic scale. IIRC, these are used for volume pots because at the higher end of volume scale it takes a greater change in decibels for our ears to perceive it. Therefore for you to get what sounds like a smooth, constant increase in volume, you need a greater increase at the louder end of the spectrum.

Therefore, i would use audio taper pots.
          Originally posted by Empty Pockets
          yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Comment

Pull that treble bleed off it. That is messing with the taper and that will solve the swell issue. Linear works pretty well. My SG Classic has linear volumes and I like the swells I can get from that. Audio (or log) is a bit smoother for swells though.

Comment

Took the "treble bleed" mod out and the taper did improve. It's not as smooth as I've wanted it to be though. Maybe it's because it's an Alpha pot? I should probably change that to a CTS when I rewire the entire thing (when my 4-conductor shielded wire arrives... yes, it's got grounding, humming issues).

Comment

I found that the best audio taper (to my ears) is on bourns pots. I got those plastic sealed (pro audio series 95 or something like that) and they have the smoothest audio taper I've heard. Also, if you like treble bleed and don't want it to mess up the taper significantly, try 130K and 1nF in series (kinman style) rather than parallel (dimarzio style). It's also more transparent than a simple treble bleed cap a'la ibanez.
                Check out my site with DIY amps, guitars and pedals http://diy-fever.com

Comment

Didn't Fender use a 1 meg volume pot in the early Teles and thats why alot of guys could do swells with em?

Also a .001 on the volume?
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

yeah, 1nF in series with 130K resistor between input and output lugs of the volume pot. Does wonders
                    It's the third one on the diagram

Comment

Very interesting. After I get my guitar wired up I might have to try this out.

Comment

Originally posted by bancika View Post
                        yeah, 1nF in series with 130K resistor between input and output lugs of the volume pot. Does wonders
                        It's the third one on the diagram
                        I use a .001 in parallel with a 220k resistor (like the 2nd diagram) on all my guitars. I've tried every variation of the treble bleed mod, and it's the one I prefer.

And for swells, you definitely want an audio taper pot. Linear works best on a tone control, but for volume you want audio.
                        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

^ I believe that's what's on my Kramer, but it somehow is screwing up with the taper of the Alpha Pot (audio). Am I the only one experiencing this?

Comment

when you put a 220k resistor directly between lugs 1 and 2 it will totally screw up your taper. When volume is near minimum it acts more like a 150k pot instead of 500K or 110k instead of 250K, depending on what you have. I don't like it too much.
                            Resistor in series with cap is there to limit the effect of the cap and not affect anything other than frequencies that go though the cap (hi-end content)

Comment

Originally posted by bancika View Post
                              when you put a 220k resistor directly between lugs 1 and 2 it will totally screw up your taper. When volume is near minimum it acts more like a 150k pot instead of 500K or 110k instead of 250K, depending on what you have. I don't like it too much.
                              Resistor in series with cap is there to limit the effect of the cap and not affect anything other than frequencies that go though the cap (hi-end content)
                              It works for me, and it's the one that the man himself, Seymour Duncan, recommends.

That said, most of my volume swells are done with a volume pedal. I find it much easier to control, plus it frees up my hand for picking during a swell. I mainly use the volume pot on the guitar as a gain control.
                              Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                              Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                              Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Working...
                              X