No announcement yet.

Anyone Rocking a 2007+ Melody Maker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone Rocking a 2007+ Melody Maker?

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
    Why don't you rewind the stock pup. It isn't bad just a little low on the output side.
    I considered it. But I can only get about 6.7-7.0k of 43 AWG on that bobbin. Stilll very low output.

I want something sleazy, nasty and rude. A hotter pickup with a wider frequency that reads more of the strings...and bigger magnets. It's screaming for a P90.

Also goning to install a Faber compensated bridge and Pigtail steel studs and bushings. Very high hopes for this potential little econo-screamer.

I also have a vintage 1957 P90 laying around. I've never even heard it, so I'm curious.
    Originally posted by Frankly
    PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
    Originally posted by Diocletian
    Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

Well if you have a cool old P-90 then by all means!
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
        Well if you have a cool old P-90 then by all means!
        Yeah, it would be hard to pass up a 50s P-90.
        Originally posted by Frankly
        PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
        Originally posted by Diocletian
        Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

Originally posted by o.p-i.v View Post
          besides headstock, whats the difference between that and a junior?
          It was basically a LP Jr., Jr. Faded for only $350 or 400. The body was thinner, the neck was cedar, there was no pick guard (though a Jr. pick guard fits perfectly), it used a TOM and stop tailpiece, and the MM has the "step" at the neck joint, which standard production Jrs. did not have at that time.

It's exactly why I think they stopped making them that way, and why, at about $300 used, I still think they are one of the best buys out there! The existence of these MMs must have made it hard to charge $1,500 for a Jr. reissue. In the early '00's, Jrs. were $650 or $700 as standard production guitars, then they stopped making those, and made them twice as much by making them "reissues." Big deal; they had a dyed yellow to black sunburst instead of natural to black, and they had the "step" at the neck joint instead of the smooth neck joint. At around the same time they did that 2x price jump on the Jr.s, these MMs came out. So there was an $1,100 gap between the MMs and their next most expensive similar guitar. I don't think most people would agree that the diffrences in specs between the two were worth spending an extra grand on. Now they have changed the MM into a much truer "reissue" (albeit with a matte finish), raised the prices on them by over $100, and brought the Jr. back as a "non-reissue," back at the $700 price tag. So MMs don't really compete with Jrs. any more, by way of both lowering the prices on the Jrs., and raising the prices and changing the specs on the MMs.

There were spec. changes throughout their run. I remember the specs from buying mine. It does not have a cedar body; it is mahogany. However, some later ones may have gone to cedar. I am pretty sure the necks were cedar from the start. Mine looks a lot like mahogany where it is wearing through the yellow, but I think I remember the spec sheet saying cedar when I bought the guitar.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X