Conductive spray paint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conductive spray paint.

Im looking to insulate components in an electric guitar. Do you recommend conductive spray paint? This seems a much easier option than building cans for pots, switches, etc. Also, do you recommend shielding the entire electronic compartments? I do not imagine there is much noise interference from the outside.

Thanks,
    MattSA

Re: Conductive spray paint.

Copper tape is easier to apply.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Yeah, copper tape is pretty awesome stufff . . . only takes an hour or so and you get great shielding.

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

First of all...this is NOT "insulation", it is shielding (actually very conductive...just the opposite of insulation).

And, yes, shield the entire body/control cavity and pickguard as in GuitarStv's photo. Aluminum foil also works great, is easier to use, and is WAY cheaper. Just spray both surfaces with contact adhesive, let dry, and apply.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

1: If you can find conductive spray paint, I'd like to know where.

2: Gummed aluminum tape is cheaper, far easier to find and far easier to work with than copper, which has no advantages in this application.
          You all became so much smarter and more mature when I turned off sigs and avatars! Wow, it's like magic!
          DATA, NOT DISCUSSION

Comment

Aluminum is cheaper . . . but you have to make sure that you have a good connection between all the strips. The aluminum foil tape you can buy for duct work in your house doesn't conduct electricity all that well so you've got to be a little more creative when working with it. It's also a lot easier to solder to copper tape.

20$ isn't super expensive and if you're careful you should have some stuff left over for a future project: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...pper_Tape.html
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
            X