banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do people blackout guitar serial #'s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do people blackout guitar serial #'s?

when they post pics of their guitar online? I'm sure it's obvious but it totally escapes me.

it's not like it's your social security #. what could a stranger use that to do? Register your shredstick and somehow claim it's theirs? I don't get it.

Re: why do people blackout guitar serial #'s?

If I were to report a guitar stolen, one of the first things I'd be asked is "what's the serial number". If I don't know it or can't get it, I'm probably lying.
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

ok, that makes sense. but why black it out? So others can't say you stole it from them?

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
        ok, that makes sense. but why black it out? So others can't say you stole it from them?
        That's one reason I can think of, if not far-fetched.

Comment

AFAIK, it is so no one can report the guitar stolen.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
            AFAIK, it is so no one can report the guitar stolen.
            That's what I've somewhat understood it to be.

Comment

I guess it just strikes me as funny that you would black it out, out of fear that some random guy in Middle Tennessee would see your serial number, then call the cops on you or something.

I don't know, I guess I just have more faith in man or something.

please don't steal the serial number off my BC Rich warlock! hahhaa

Comment

I think it has a lot to do with scammers stealing the photos off of ads and then posting their own ads using your photos. So they "sell" that guitar to someone online and then it never shows up.

If you're a prospective buyer and the seller can't or won't tell you the serial # in private communications that's a sign to run away.

By blacking out or blurring the #'s in the photos you're withholding a key piece of information that identifies that instrument.
                -
                My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

I don't know, I guess I just have more faith in man or something.
                  You'll learn at some point, unfortunately.

Comment

Next time put your face in the photo. The scammers won't claim you stole their face,right?
                    Originally posted by GuitarDoc
                    Don't take yourselves, or anything for that matter, too seriously. We're born, we live, then we die. All of us. Just the same.

Comment

its happened with guns before... where people report a gun serial stolen, it locks up the gun for a long time in red tape crap and really angers people.... so I assume they dont want the same kind of thing to happen with guitars... not that the ATF would come swarming down on you for your serial number lol.... not the same thing, but kinda where the idea comes from I suppose.

That was a long run-on sentence that a teacher should never have typed that way.... I sound like my students....
                      Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Working...
                      X