NGD - Carvin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Carvin

Ok, well this was pretty much an impulse buy. I was looking for a cheap guitar to put a spare custom/jazz hybrid in, and came across this.

Its a 1996 Carvin DC 135.........for $300USD (and then about $90 shipping to Aus).

Maple neck thru/alder wings
    Ebony fretboard (the big attraction for me)
    Wilkinson trem
    Locking tuners
    Dimarzio breed pup in bridge
    Pretty nice shade of blue.

It was cheap as there is one of the string guides in the trem which is broken (but still functional). There's a bit of fretwear too, but I can always refret later if necessary.

I was prepared for the guitar to play poorly, or for me not to like the Breed, but neither of these things eventuated. Its really mids focused, as a lot of you have said about dimarzios. I know its supposedly a pickup designed for Steve Vai, but through my Lovepedal Kanji o/d I'm more thinking Satch.

Re: NGD - Carvin

Nice!
    Welcome to the Carvin Club!
    sigpic
    http://www.heddatheband.com

New HEDDA CD now available:
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hedda2

HEDDA video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-LuSksz-J8

Comment

Very nice!

Gas just can't wait.

Comment

That's ****ing sweetness! Great deal too.

Congrats!

Comment

steal compared to what they go for these days.

Comment

Congratulations on the guitar and the good deal.

Comment

Awesome! That should be Pearl Blue color if I'm not mistaken! Gotta love the black headstock!

BTW, your guitar has the straight pointy headstock that was only available 1992-1995; if indeed yours is a 1996 it was perhaps ordered at the end of 1995 or at the very beginning of 1996.

Last edited by arellanon; 02-06-2012, 08:51 PM. Reason: Need to add more info
              Play it like you mean it!

Originally posted by Ayrton
              Can we please stop with the whole "bigger strings are manly, sound "better", help you get chicks", etc.
              Originally posted by Funkfingers
              Anything over twenty five or thirty years old is now deemed "vintage" - even if was a steaming pile of manure to begin with.
              Originally posted by Funkfingers
              You played a chord (minimum note count = three) all on one string. Da boy's a genius.

sigpic

Comment

Carvins are awesome!! Great score!
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

That's a lot of guitar for $300, and it's a good year with good specs and finish.

I'm curious to hear about the Custom/Jazz hybrid. I wonder how much different it would be than a 59/C hybrid.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

That's a really solid deal. I've been curious about the Breed but haven't had a chance to try one.
                    "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                      That's a lot of guitar for $300, and it's a good year with good specs and finish.

I'm curious to hear about the Custom/Jazz hybrid. I wonder how much different it would be than a 59/C hybrid.
                      Unfortunately I'll still be waiting to try that one out. The breed will be staying in the bridge for the time being. Could try it in my Parker PM20 pro.....thats where the 59b/Jazz(n) neck hybrid is too. The Custom/Jazz is also based on a Jazz neck. This might make more of a difference than otherwise......plus its the custom slug and Jazz screw.

Comment

Originally posted by arellanon View Post
                        Awesome! That should be Pearl Blue color if I'm not mistaken! Gotta love the black headstock!

BTW, your guitar has the straight pointy headstock that was only available 1992-1995; if indeed yours is a 1996 it was perhaps ordered at the end of 1995 or at the very beginning of 1996.

Thanks for that info - I'm thinking that the guitar probably was a late 95, but got to the customer in 96. Seems a lot of guitar for the money even at normal prices, but the deal I got was outstanding!!

Comment

Killer deal on a killer guitar. I love my Carvin bro, they are fantastic players guitars... no arguing that at all... I would love to hear a clip of the Breed in the DC if you ever had a chance...
                          "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

Comment

24 frets of ebony goodness

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                              +1

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X