Best "fast" potentiometers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best "fast" potentiometers?

I know EVH has "fast" low friction pots and some other people make them... what's your experience?

Re: Best "fast" potentiometers?

I tried a Bournes and it worked as advertised. Probably a little too fast for me. If that is what you're looking for get one.
    https://www.rockstockpedals.com/

Comment

I've had a Bourns EVH in one guitar for nearly 4 months now; while it's nice and fast (I like a really loose feeling pot), it's starting to bleed a little while still on 0 - need to try some contact cleaner maybe.
      Originally posted by dominus
      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

The Bourns are real slippery. Like, they feel like they're not even touching anything, but they stay put so it's fine. Mine's not an EVH, it's just a regular 500k Bourns from www.tubesandmore.com
        Last edited by Jolly_Rancher; 02-07-2012, 10:09 PM.

Comment

bourns.
          I dont like regular pots anymore. Now im spoiled.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Actually, the Dimarzio branded CTS pots are really great: pretty fast with a smooth taper. Haven't tried the newer Yngwie ones which are supposed to be fast as well.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

yeah i've wondered about this too... i'd love to hear some experiences/opinions

Comment

What is the benefit of a fast pot. ? Volume swells ?

I replaced the volume pot. in my Mira and love it because it actually has some resistance - I feel like I can set it to any particular point with better accuracy.

Comment

The PRS pots are ultra slippery as the above poster said.

Comment

dont tell anyone but i have always used dimarzio 500K pots.
                    If the Dimarzio pots were good enough to use in those old prepro charvels then they are good enough for me! LOL!
                    I am interested in the YJM pots? are they 500K? or just 250K

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                      I've had a Bourns EVH in one guitar for nearly 4 months now; while it's nice and fast (I like a really loose feeling pot), it's starting to bleed a little while still on 0 - need to try some contact cleaner maybe.
                      Mine went from a slight bleed to almost no volume reduction at all. It's been there for over a year now, but there may be some design flaws here. I bought another one, just in case I got a fluke, but if it happens again, I'll just go back to CTS pots.

I like the loose feel, but I find myself hitting the knob while playing and it rolls a bit too easily. Granted, I'm using a knurled metal knob like a Tele, so the added weight probably makes it too extreme. Perhaps a lighter, plastic knob would be better, but I HATE the look of the knobs on the Wolfgang. I can't find any "normal" Strat knobs that have big enough openings, since these pots are solid shaft, not the smaller kind like a CTS.

Comment

I put a Bourns in one of my Strats, and after having ultra-stiff CTS pots for so many years it's quite a thing to get used to. The slightest nudge sends it flying. It does hold position though, and it's super fast and smooth ... I just need to stop being so sloppy so I can get used to it.

I think my ideal pot would be a teeny bit stickier than a standard Bourns.
                        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
                          Mine went from a slight bleed to almost no volume reduction at all. It's been there for over a year now, but there may be some design flaws here. I bought another one, just in case I got a fluke, but if it happens again, I'll just go back to CTS pots.

I like the loose feel, but I find myself hitting the knob while playing and it rolls a bit too easily. Granted, I'm using a knurled metal knob like a Tele, so the added weight probably makes it too extreme. Perhaps a lighter, plastic knob would be better, but I HATE the look of the knobs on the Wolfgang. I can't find any "normal" Strat knobs that have big enough openings, since these pots are solid shaft, not the smaller kind like a CTS.
                          Hmm, I'll have to observe and see what happens with mine. I've got a CTS for the tone which is stiffer but I don't ride it like the volume, so it's ok.

Yeah, the solid shaft is annoying - I had to get new knobs because the previous ones were metric. Then I still had to drill out the new ones because they were a tiny bit too small for the new pots .

Regarding other fast pots, I find that those coming stock with old MIJ Ibanezes are pretty quick too (less than EVH though) and have a decent taper.

Also curious about the Yngwie ones - I think they're also available in 500k.
                          Originally posted by dominus
                          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Working...
                          X