Lowered price on Gibson Melody Makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lowered price on Gibson Melody Makers

Ok price, but these things feel like they're made of balsa wood.

Comment

Maple bodies? Those goan be some bright soundin geetars!
      -
      My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

not really. maple as a body gives you quite a lot of low end.

Comment

If I were to get a MM , it would have to be one of the re-issue models from 2007 with both the Volume & Tone knobs in the Sunburst finish. I think the new ones look like crap.

Comment

I actually think the the blue SG and LP look ok (the SG looks very good actually). As simple rockers (1 hb no tone) they are a good design IMO.

However, if I'm buying a single HB guitar made from maple (i.e. not exotic wood at all) with a narrow headstock and very limited cheap appointments, I expect it to be lower than 500$, which can get me a solid two-humbucker import...

but that's just me...

I agree that the 2007 reissues were more for the money but they had single-coils.

Comment

Toys for a beginner.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
                Maple bodies? Those goan be some bright soundin geetars!
                Not so IME. Maple is a really anti-treble wood from what I can tell. I don't know why so many people think it is bright. Probably just because it is a light toned wood.
                Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-12-2012, 11:09 PM.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I dig the look (especially the blue hehe) and the idea. After playing the LP version, however, I thought the quality was subpar, even for a budget guitar. I'd rather shell out the extra $80 and get a PRS SE One... PRS SE is my favorite bang-for-your-buck series out there!
                  - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
                  - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
                  - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
                  - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
                  - Tungsten Buckwheat
                  - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
                  - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
                  - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

I believe LP and SG juniors were called cheap beginner guitars as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kramer Guy View Post
                      Considering that they don't have a tone knob, that's a much more realistic price. I guess they're not selling too well which probably explains the change in price.
                      Being a "Kramer Guy" when was the last time you touched a tone knob?

When I bought mine, full retail mind you, from sweetwater, they had over a dozen of each in stock.

Now they only have a handful left. I'd say they're selling VERY well.
                      Last edited by 9unslin9er; 02-13-2012, 09:40 AM.
                      AccountKiller

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        Toys for a beginner.
                        Being as how I'm probably the only one here that has owned one, I'll give my review, and why you should buy one while this ridiculous promo lasts.

2011 Maker Les Paul (ebony)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...0&l=96fdd8c5b3

maple body, maple neck, baked maple fretboard.
                        (1) Gibson 491T aka Duncan Designed HB-103

I have owned Les Paul Jr. historics and this guitar gives them a run for their money. Extremely raw and sizzly. It almost sounds like an 80's guitar. Still has Les Paul grunt, but has a lot of superstrat quality, namely incredible harmonics.

I don't think it's a toy at all.

A LP standard is kind of like the woman you marry. She can cook, clean, nag, and you love her a lot.
                        The MM LP is like the hot chick you met at a rock concert and spent a very, ridiculous, crazed, albeit irresponsible summer with, but she really brought out the wild child in you.

One word of advice, the wood with the satin finish is extremely soft, and prone to damage. The gig bag provided does not suffice. My bottom strap pin has already sunk into the wood from leaning against the wall.
                        Last edited by 9unslin9er; 02-13-2012, 09:35 AM.
                        AccountKiller

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                          Not so IME. Maple is a really anti-treble wood from what I can tell. I don't know why so many people think it is bright. Probably just because it is a light toned wood.
                          I thought it was bright because generally people say an instrument with a maple fretboard will be brighter than a rosewood board.
                          -
                          My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Wow, you can actually get a real guitar for that price. I'd skip this ugly beast and go for an epiphone which doesn't look like a recalled chines toy.
                            Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
                            The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

Originally posted by fusion101 View Post
                              Wow, you can actually get a real guitar for that price. I'd skip this ugly beast and go for an epiphone which doesn't look like a recalled chines toy.
                              ...except that Epiphone Standards are actually made in China.

Let's not bash Chinese made anything. They're stepping up their quality control. They're already making stuff comparable to the Koreans and Japanese. Wealthiest country in the world right now per capita.

I bet when Leo Fender came out with the Broadcaster, people thought, "Let's skip this toy and go for a Jazzbox."

One day, some very talented guitarist will probably play the MM single hum guitars, and it will probably get famous, and it'll probably be worth a lot more than $400.

PS. What is a "scappoled fretboard?" You mean scapeled, as in pierced? Oh, you must mean scalloped, like Malmsteen's guitar. K. Gotcha.
                              Last edited by 9unslin9er; 02-13-2012, 04:42 PM.
                              AccountKiller

Comment

I've played a few of these at a local store. I really liked them. Despite the cheap looking finish and rough appearance, they play great. I was getting a real Leslie West kind of tone out of one of the les paul ones.

They have a pretty cool punk vibe, looks wise, IMO. The burnt maple neck on the one I bonded with was fantastic. They're like a homemade guitar that surprised everyone by being a real player!

Comment

Working...
                                X