banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a nice acoustic for around 150 - 200?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's a nice acoustic for around 150 - 200?

I've had two Yamaha acoustics, both were great guitars. I still have one, my nephew has the other. I like the FG-300s and 400s, if they're still making those. It pains me to say this, but avoid Fender. They have never really made a good acoustic to my knowledge. I have not played a Stratacoustic so I can say anything about them.

I love Mahogany top guitars, but not everyone does. I think they have a fuller, richer sound whereas Spruce tends to be more bright/brillant sounding. I don't know if there are any Cedar top guitars in that price range but that is another tonal choice.

Happy Hunting!
    Steve

P.S. I can't count how many really good guitarist I know who own and use Yamaha acoustics. That should count for something.
    Steve
    I don't mean to offend, I just have a knack for it.

Duncans used; Lil '59, Ducky & Hotrail in my Mahogany Hardtail Strat;
    Brobucker and Cool Rail are on hold for future projects.

:banana: :rocket: "Dance Banana Boy, Dance!"

Comment

I know Fender has an acoustic pack that runs around $200. The guitar that comes with it has a solid spruce top, which tends to age better than cheaper models with laminate tops. Guitar Center usually sells 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave
        Yamaha Acoustics IMO are the best cheap guitars I have played.
        +1

Comment

Great advice form everyone! Thanks!
          It seems the Yamaha's and Seagulls are populair as well as Alvarez, I'll definately check those out.
          I'm still curious about those Deans, does anyone own one?

Comment

Never seen one in person, only in magazine ad's. Another testimony for Seagull..... When I drove to Atlanta to do my evaluation for admission into the school, I was surprised to see that the president played one. Not just one he has laying around for students to bang on, but that was HIS guitar that he had used a few nights before at a gig. He claimed that when he was searching for an inexpensive guitar to gig with, he tried every guitar in the store (GC), and was sold on the quality to price ratio of the Seagulls. Now, this is a guy who has several modded guitars, along with a Matchless, VHT, and Mesa/Boogie Mark IV in his office. I played the Seagull for nearly 3 hours so that I could pass the entrance exam, and I have to say I was impressed with the action, the tones, and eventually the looks grew on me. I had seen them in stores before, but turned away because of the price tag (too low)! Well, I learned from that one... Now when I test gear out, I play everything that falls into the category regardless of price. If nothing else, it gives you a frame of reference for tone.

Got off on a tangent, but seriously, I definitely vote for the Seagulll!
            ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

Working...
            X