Intonation adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intonation adjustments

Should changing from 10 gauge strings to 11 effect intonation? On my PRS, I noticed no difference but on my Hagstrom, big difference unless someone was mucking with my guitar without me knowing it.

Re: Intonation adjustments

A heavier gauge increases the tension on the neck. IMO, I would intonate last:

1. add new strings, tune up, play to break in strings, tune up, let it rest overnite

2. day 2, tune up again

3. adjust string height & adjust if necessary

4. check neck relief and adjust only if necessary

5. intonate

6. rock out.
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Thanks. These ARE new DR Blues strings and the first day, things sounded ok. Left alone for 2 days then picked it up again and bam, sounds not too funky.
      But I'll double check the string height. And, just maybe, I got a bad set of strings.

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
        Anytime you change string gauges you should intonate.
        +1. And any time they sound off. Only takes a couple minutes to do, and then you don't have those weird-sounding high notes.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
          Anytime you change string gauges you should intonate.

I quit using DR's because I had issues getting them to intonate well. Soso quit using them for the same reason. So get ready for a battle.
          That's really wierd that you guys had that problem. I thought I was halucinating or just had a bad set. I tried DR strings once. Had such problems keeping them intonated, I just took them off and never looked back.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            +1. And any time they sound off. Only takes a couple minutes to do, and then you don't have those weird-sounding high notes.
            +1.

I guess it can be affected by how old the strings are, how warm the neck is, humidity, etc.

I always intonate with each string change. And I may even go through the intonation process four or five times through the life of each set. It's really not that big of a hassle, but I am a perfectionist. Being very slightly out of intonation doesn't affect anyone else as much as myself.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I've used DR strings for years (about 10 now) and never have these issues, granted I usually check intonation every time I change strings and make adjustments as necessary to the neck and everything. Variances in environments such as temperature, humidity, etc all throw your guitar off slightly.

In fact I've never used any string that had intonation issues (usually your setup determines intonation) not the brand of string you use. And although I've played DR for 10 years I've still used/tried other strings on my own instruments and I use a variety of strings on different clients guitars depending on their preferences.

I should mention that using DR strings I don't find intonation issues and that's using the following types of bridges on my own guitars:
              Bigsby B7 w/ roller saddle bridge, 2 point Fender American Deluxe Tremolo, Joe Barden tele bridge w/ brass comp saddles, LP semi hollow with ABR-1, basic strat tremolo, 6 saddle vintage style tele bridge, 12 string TOM bridge, PRS wraparound bridge, etc. That's not even mentioning the bridges I deal with when working on clients guitars.
              Last edited by PRSfan nym 1985; 02-15-2012, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Anytime you change string gauge you will need to do a complete setup. Change the strings, stretch them out. Check the relief of the neck, set the action, intonate your guitar. Its a procedure that will usually keep your guitar playing properly.
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
                X