LP Set up questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LP Set up questions

I saw a new Les Paul Custom today. It had the baked maple board.

Aesthetic comment - A perfectly sexy Les Paul Custom with CHROME hardware ruined by a very light colored board....yuck. Ebony would have looked way better!

The bridge/tail - It was such a BAD setup that some GC Monkey must have goofed with it. Or Gibson did shoddy work. Tough call.

It could have been improved, but the Stop bar was up really high, as was the bridge. I did not like it one bit.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
      Hold the phone. If the Tribute had no angle, the tailpiece and bridge would be able to be slammed down to the body. Since that is not the case, there is angle, just not like the Burny.

First thing that needs to be done is to get the truss rod adjusted so there is the right amount of relief.

After that, get the action set. This will also coincide with adjusting the truss rod, 1/4 turn at a time.

Making sure the saddles are cut and radiused to the fingerboard is a plus too.

My bandmate has a LP Trad Pro and he was having setup issues with it too. He let me have it for a couple days and now it plays like butter. I may be tooting my own horn but I'm been doing my own setups for 20 years and have learned quite a bit along the way, even from pro techs.
      Wanna dial it in for me??
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        I saw a new Les Paul Custom today. It had the baked maple board.

Aesthetic comment - A perfectly sexy Les Paul Custom with CHROME hardware ruined by a very light colored board....yuck. Ebony would have looked way better!

The bridge/tail - It was such a BAD setup that some GC Monkey must have goofed with it. Or Gibson did shoddy work. Tough call.

It could have been improved, but the Stop bar was up really high, as was the bridge. I did not like it one bit.
        those are the LP classic customs. I have always loved the black customs and chrome hardware. (I like gold but it fades) I LOVED the one I played as it played and sounded great! the board was pretty dark on the one I played, so it wasnt bad.. But a light board can make it ugly
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
          Wanna dial it in for me??
          I would absolutely love to. If I wasn't so far away from you I'd take care of it. I mean that 100%. Even after messing with my own 6 electrics and 2 acoustics, I love setting up guitars for friends.

That Trad Pro wasn't the first one I worked on for my bandmate. I set up a Kramer Striker (MusicYo model) for him after installing new pickups (Custom/SSL-2/PGn) and a Samick Greg Bennett LP style. The only thing I don't do yet is fret work.

Comment

Working...
          X