banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travelling/Flying with a bolt-on guitar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling/Flying with a bolt-on guitar.

So, would you rather disassemble it and put it in your suitcase, using your clothes as cushioning material, or would you try to see if you could take it as a carry on? People always mention coat closets and stuff but I've noticed some flights don't have them.

Opinions?

Re: Travelling/Flying with a bolt-on guitar.

put in a case and load it as baggage. This guy I know recently flew ( at different intervals)with probably 200 grand worth of guitars checked in nothing but the case, and nothing at all happened. of course, dude has the luck of the Irish, so...
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm worried about. I mean, Fender style guitars tend to be tanks but the way the baggage handlers toss stuff around, it does kinda make me a bit uneasy to just check it in and forget about it.

Comment

Mail it to your destination.

Comment

I haven't actually read on of tc's posts in weeks.
          -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by LedSabbath View Post
            Mail it to your destination.
            Thing is, it's an international flight and last time I mailed a guitar from the States to Central America it wasn't cheap...

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
            I haven't actually read on of tc's posts in weeks.
            Yeah that's been happening a bit with other people too. I wonder why though.

Comment

Just take the neck off and pack it all up in your suitcase. Non issue.
              -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

I would feel fine with my strat in a good case and putting it in checked baggage.

I'd do it with my LP too, but I'd attach some bubble wrap to the headstock area, and would make sure i was using a good, hard plastic case.

Comment

This last time i flew from Beijing to Venice Lufthansa didnt offer gate check or any of the normal options that I use for flying. I wound up taking the neck off and putting the body in with my clothes and then putting the neck in my carry on luggage.

Everyone who says just check it thats a fine idea (Well not really unless you absolutely have faith in your case) if you have the spare baggage allotment but depending on the flight like Lufthansa economy you are only allowed 1 checked bag. Each additional bag is a 85 euro up charge.

I figured i would save myself the money and just take the neck off worked just fine.
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                  you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                    Just take the neck off and pack it all up in your suitcase. Non issue.
                    +1. Done it myself on international flights more than a few times, no problem.

Case Extreme out of San Diego makes some nice lightweight flight cases if you need to check the guitar. I used one of their flight cases for an acoustic on those same flights. Basically, your guitar in its case or gig bag goes into the Case Extreme flight case.

People do get away with checking regular hard cases, but my research turned up quite a few horror stories, so for me, it was worth the investment.

Last edited by Laughing Kookaburra; 02-17-2012, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X