banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When its NOT a great idea to go into the upgrade loop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When its NOT a great idea to go into the upgrade loop.

So heres an assembely I just completed,
    Its not a bad guitar by any means, and I was able to set it up to play better than most.
    However, I started this with just one crummy neck I wasted a hundred bucks buying off ebay before I was quite as astute as I am now at buying good product .. Turns out the neck is a decent neck, but had issues; I had to yank the trussrod as far to the right as it would go-just barely before snapping, and it still has just a touch too much relief, but its stable, which is all important, and the action is reasonably low and fast for me ( I'm a lead player).
    I bought the body for the neck , deciding that that neck I paid 100.00 bucks for was worth throwing good money after bad. The body was 85 bucks, and it was a plywood body ( on the upside, it looks like some Honduran Mahogany I've seen).
    Add to that the pickgaurd, the pickups, and electronics ( American Strat and Belcat bridge), whch cost easily another hundred, and because of trying to do something with that stupid neck, I have about 3 hundred + bucks into something that has no intrinsic value.
    Its okay, it was sort of a tribute to my dad who was an old Skool Air Force aviator..but would I do it again? Never.

Last edited by MetalManiac; 02-19-2012, 06:22 PM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: When its NOT a great idea to go into the upgrade loop.

Absolutely beautiful and a great tribute guitar. I don't understand the significance of the chick with the spear, but great job!!

Comment

Originally posted by MisterE View Post
      Absolutely beautiful and a great tribute guitar. I don't understand the significance of the chick with the spear, but great job!!
      Thnx. The Spear woman was apparently "lusty Lindy" which was a real actual old gas engine Fighter Bomber, and had the exact same painting on the fuselage. .
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Ya know that not a single pole piece on a single pickup lines up with a string at all and the dual blade in the bridge misses the high e completely...
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I REALLY dig the clear over paint open cavity with partial cover !!!!!!
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
            Ya know that not a single pole piece on a single pickup lines up with a string at all and the dual blade in the bridge misses the high e completely...
            Yes. That body I bought was totally off spec...I was amazed I got it to work with string alignment over the neck, which I set properly. Neck Pocket was way big, but I used screen in the pocket to help any shifting, but the neck is solid tight up against the lower heel..I don't think its gonna move... and I had to shim the neck up quite a bit.( BTW, on a side note the dad was a navigator and tailgunner for a brief time during the war. He wasn't a pilot).
            Last edited by MetalManiac; 02-19-2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              I REALLY dig the clear over paint open cavity with partial cover !!!!!!
              Thanks Sir.

Comment

Nice! I'd rock it.

I'd adjust those saddles to match the fretboard radius though.

Comment

I like it, Looks great
                  Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
                  you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                    I just realized I could route the lower control cavity to bring the pickgaurd/pickups down more into spec. It'd leave a bunch of pickgaurd screwholes, but oh well.

Comment

nicely done
                      My Dad, too, was a tailgunner
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I like the look of it.

Comment

That is a really nice axe! I like it, big time It's a great tribute.
                          Burny RLG-60, Baton Rouge AR81C/GACE
                          Line6 Helix LT, DV Mark Little 250GH, DV Mark Neoclassic 212

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                          Musicians are ****ing retards.
                          Originally posted by ex-250
                          Beer can never be the source of wrong.

Comment

Pretty darned cool. Looks like it weighs a ton too (whether or not it really does).

Is that the nose art from one of your dad's planes?
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

As a bigtime amateur military hstorian I approve.

The name is a play on words from a national hero of the relative time period- lucky lindy, i.e. charles lindbergh.
                              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
                              X