Vintage VS6 SG and new bridge pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage VS6 SG and new bridge pickup

After half year of playing that SG in standard E i deicided to drop tune that guitar to C # Standard and change the bridge pickup with SH5 Custom. I wanted to play Pantera, Children Of Bodom and Master Of Reality of Black Sabbath. the question is how the neck wilkinson pickup goes together with that SH5 Custom humbucker? should i buy new neck pickup like 59 or something, or it will be wilkinson on neck just fine? it is a paf humbucker, and neck MWVC has about 7 output.... can i combine that kind of pickups together? thanx for answers, suggestions !

Re: Vintage VS6 SG and new bridge pickup

Try the stock pickup with the Duncan for a bit, and if you don't like it, replace it.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

You may need to keep that SH-5 further away from the strings than your neck pup since its got about twice the resistence (output).
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
        You may need to keep that SH-5 further away from the strings than your neck pup since its got about twice the resistence (output).
        I am confused, i don't know much about these combinations... is this some rule? for example now, on a guitar the bridge pickup is much more close to strings than neck pickup... i didn't swap pickups yet. what do you think, is that stock wilkinson pickup near sh1 59 or something similar? i just wanna know, because i like the stock neck pickup, but for metal and drop tunings i wanna change bridge pickup for SH5 Custom, i heard good things of it, and it's high output pickup ! i don't want to throw away money just to swap the neck pickup with some new sh1 59 pickup ! i would rather keep the stock neck pickup ! i have ordered the SH5 Custom, before a week or two, so it'll be soon here !

Comment

Working...
        X