banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far have you taken guitar modification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far have you taken guitar modification?

in search of more sustain edit: and improved tone, above and beyond pickup mods and swaps?
    Last edited by Snoogles; 02-21-2012, 04:52 PM.
    good deals with:

Buyers - Allstarme, Savage_Distorton, Lerxst6, KingIZZO))), Powerglide350, Donnievaz, SrDeMaFp, Guston7, Ayrton, IndySG, eclecticsynergy, eaeolian, Jolly

Sellers - 51501984

Re: How far have you taken guitar modification?

not sure what you mean exactly. ive built guitars from scratch but not really just for sustain reasons.

i think a big part of sustain has nothing to do with the pups. the setup and guitar itself have alot to do with it. if you have a lively sounding, good sustaining guitar unplugged its much easier to get a good sound and great sustain plugged in

Comment

I agree. Sustain is all about setup.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I have a nut that I carved myself from the bone of a Great White Shark. To ensure it was authentic, I hunted and killed the shark myself using only a steak knife.

I forged a bridge block using titanium stolen from a Soviet MiG-29. I spent three years in a gulag for that one, but managed to escape by seducing the commandant's wife.

I also put a fresh set of strings on there whenever I can.
        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogles View Post
          in search of more sustain, above and beyond pickup mods and swaps?

are you saying you want more sustain from your guitar? what guitar are we talking about?

Sustain is nice, but realistically, listening to someone else besides yourself "sustain for hours" can get annoying.
          If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
          DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

I love me some feedback tho.

Feedback > Sustain

edit: should be CONTROLLED feedback

DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Originally posted by lex666 View Post
              I love me some feedback tho.

Feedback > Sustain

edit: should be CONTROLLED feedback
              i'm finding that's about the one and only drawback of the POD HD that i've using.
              i miss the feedback of a real amp.
              damn this NYC apartment living.
              good deals with:

Buyers - Allstarme, Savage_Distorton, Lerxst6, KingIZZO))), Powerglide350, Donnievaz, SrDeMaFp, Guston7, Ayrton, IndySG, eclecticsynergy, eaeolian, Jolly

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

Originally posted by lex666 View Post
                are you saying you want more sustain from your guitar? what guitar are we talking about?

Sustain is nice, but realistically, listening to someone else besides yourself "sustain for hours" can get annoying.
                i'm thinking sustain where i could go out for a bite to eat, come back and still hear it.

btw, i ask specifically about sustain, because "tone" is subjective, but i'll go back and re-edit my original post
                i just figured i would specifically ask about sustain, because that is quantifiable. while tone is subjective
                Last edited by Snoogles; 02-21-2012, 04:54 PM.
                good deals with:

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

I don't think I understand the original question?

At least I didn't do modifications to increase sustain, it had plenty of that before and it still does. I just don't know how much the sustain has increased.

I did the mods because I wanted to increase the guitars potential to sound better than it did and I succeeded. I can now spend all day tweaking those sounds that I gained with the pups and the triple shots rather than just playing all day.

And now I have this tele that I have stored away in the closet. Hmmmm?...

Comment

I put those graph-tech saddles I got from a bro on my tele and it has LOL sustain, like ridiculous. I wasn't missing sustain, but it's actually pretty cool.

My right hand appreciates the smooth tops on them very much, only downside is the grounding thing, meh.

Comment

They say that a locking bridge & tail like those from TonePros help to increase sustain. Whether or not its perceptible is a whole nuther debate. I've got locking bridges and tails on many guitars and the difference is negligible at best.

I think sustain and tone has more to do with proper set up and tone woods. The more resonant your guitar is the better the tone & sustain.

DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

If sustain would be so important we would all play 1977 Kramer Aluminum neck-throughs today.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogles View Post
                          in search of more sustain edit: and improved tone, above and beyond pickup mods and swaps?
                          Block, bridge, saddles, nut, tailpiece, TOM

In my experience, bridge + nut is the greatest combo - a high mass bridge and a hard and light nut. I prefer TUSQ nuts and brass bridges.
                          my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Well, I've done this:

Can't say all that mass on the body does much for the sustain as I'm really not using it for slow blues, but the tone did get a bit beefier.
                            Originally posted by Brown Note
                            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                            My Blog

Comment

I picked up a cheap Gibson SG in 1988. It looked like it'd been run over by a tank, there were so many pieces missing. I rebuilt it. One of the things that it had was a Bigsby tailpiece, and while Neil Young might like them, I think they're the worst. So, I tore that off and put a stop tailpiece in instead, but put it further back than normal. It ended up giving it a LOT more sustain than some of the heavier, more traditional sustainable guitars.
                              www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X