Pi Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pi Guitar

An awesome, awesome build that shows how details can take a guitar from cool to HELL YES

The Kansas Pi Guitar

Made by Steve Mason.

Finished in September 2010.

Mahogany neck. The heel pin bolt serves as the bottom neck anchor bolt. Note the "top port" ( Pi hole) in the shoulder of the guitar. The problem with guitars is that they are designed to project forward. Everyone can hear your guitar better than you can. The top port aims some of that sound at your ears. It's not as good as a monitor system, but it helps.

This is a dusty close up of an asymmetrical detail. I had already cut the pearl to do the same thing on the other side of the fingerboard, then, in the spirit of Pi, I went with irrational.

East Indian Back and sides. Curly Sycamore binding.

The State of Kansas is perfectly rectangular, except for the Missouri river in the Northeast corner. In regular playing position, the peghead is a map of Kansas. The peghead template was drawn for me by Mark Franzke.

The fingerboard pearl is: Pi at the 3rd fret, Roman numeral 3 at the 5th fret, a hand pointing at the 7th, Roman numeral 1 at the 9th, an IV made of ivory at the 12th, Roman numerals 1 and 5 at the 15th and 17th frets, and the "ad infinitum" symbol at the 19th. Pi = 3.1415... Notice the Pi fret; a square fret, flush with the top of the fingerboard, 1/7 of the distance from the third to the fourth frets. Pi is the ratio of what's going on to what's coming around.

I have always thought of herringbone binding as a snake. On this guitar I let the head of the snake rise out of the binding groove. There are two Pi symbols on the snake's head, making it a python. The grain of the butt pin matches the sides.

The top is Sitka Spruce. The bridge is Brazilian Rosewood. There is a worm hole on the bottom right of the bridge, which I use for time travel.

This is a view looking out the "Pi" hole from inside the guitar. A hole drilled through a bent side must be reinforced. I reinforced it with a Pi symbol. You can see that the rosewood grain runs the same direction as the grain of the side. Between the two layers of rosewood is a cross grain piece of maple veneer. That gives the strength required and also makes for a nice white line around the inside edge of the hole.

My initials and the year, carved from ebony, serve to reinforce the centerline joint of the back, while allowing the center strip to show on the inside of the guitar.
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Re: Pi Guitar

very VERY cool.

The attention to detail and simplicity of design is stupendous!

Comment

Just like American car builders you have to know when to stop. More isn't better just more.
      Pulse 2AM - YouTube
      Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

I love builds like this. It's the little things.
        -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

It's stunning, but I want to hear it from 20 feet away to see if the details really help
          - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
          Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
          The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Pretty awesome. The only thing I don't like is the headstock, but that's because I don't give a f*ck about Kansas and it just looks like it's had a rat gnawing at it.
            I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Neato.

Comment

absolutely gorgeous... want.
                "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                  Pretty awesome. The only thing I don't like is the headstock, but that's because I don't give a f*ck about Kansas and it just looks like it's had a rat gnawing at it.
                  This.

Love the guitar, but there are so many, less boring, depressing things than the state of kansas...a rectangle comes to mind.
                  Originally posted by jcthejester13
                  Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Incredible work of art. Now, I wonder who's gonna play it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                      Agreed. I think I would prefer the Colorado model.
                      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Working...
                      X