NBGD...New Build Guitar Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBGD...New Build Guitar Day

So, after seeing Aceman's "Under Construction" guitar, I just had to do one myself. So I started with a used Vendetta like this one but without the tail, just string-thru:

I took it apart and began my monkey business. Stripped (sanded) all the paint off and rounded all of the edges quite a bit more. Since I'm getting old and fat, I needed more tummy relief, so I whacked away at the back until it felt like a good fit.

Then I decided to create some arm relief like on a Strat, but I did a little extra...if a little is good, then more is better. Right?!

Then I decided to notch out the cutaways ala PRS, but decided to soften them a little and ended up with this:

At first I was planning on filling in the neck pup rout and rout out for a middle position Strat single coil so I could split the bridge hummer and get some #2 position quack. But when I first got this guitar and plugged it in just for the heck of it, I reallized that the positioning of the hummers already got some good quack when they were split. So I decided to leave it as is with the two hummers. This gives me some greater tonal possibilities than just the HS cofiguration I was thinking about doing. So it will be an HH after all.

Right now it's only in the sanding sealer stage. I'm planning on doing a few more coats with sanding in between to get rid of all the grain and imperfections. My plan is to paint it ivory/cream with amber burst around the edges, back, and neck. All new hardware will be gold. Pickups will be C5/'59 hybrid in the bridge and '59b with A2 in the neck. Both pups will have gold covers.

I'll add more pics as I progress. I've come to realize that this part is just a lot of work...rasping, filing, belt sanding, hand sanding, spraying, sanding, spraying, sanding, spraying, sanding, etc for about a dozen coats. I am anticipating that the top coat and the burst edges will start to be more fun. Then a couple clear coats and I can put it together.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Re: NBGD...New Build Guitar Day

Sweet! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Comment

This looks promising.
      My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
      The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
      Originally posted by CTN
      I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
      FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

I don't even think I would paint it. I think it looks good like that.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
          I don't even think I would paint it. I think it looks good like that.
          Naw, it's kinda nasty looking. Not the prettiest wood grain. But I appreciate your compliment. And if I just wanted a raw rocker I wouldn't have gone to so much work already. I'm willing to pay my dues with this one...just for the heck of it.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            Naw, it's kinda nasty looking. Not the prettiest wood grain. But I appreciate your compliment. And if I just wanted a raw rocker I wouldn't have gone to so much work already. I'm willing to pay my dues with this one...just for the heck of it.
            It's ugly grain because it was a cheaper black guitar. But if it sounds good, it is good. Looks like a cool little project, too!
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
            Originally posted by Securb
            The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Looking good. Guitar rebuilds are great fun. I'm making over a squire strat right now.

Comment

Working...
              X