Floyd tips and tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd tips and tricks

Having just purchased my first FR equipped guitar, I suppose the one thing that makes me nervous is changing strings and setting everything up again. If anyone out there has tips, tricks, thoughts on what things you need to set up a Floyd properly, or links to what they consider a definitive guide, please share!

Been thinking of going up to 10s from the stock 9s and heard it can be challenging!
    'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Re: Floyd tips and tricks

Originally posted by Seraphial View Post
    Having just purchased my first FR equipped guitar, I suppose the one thing that makes me nervous is changing strings and setting everything up again. If anyone out there has tips, tricks, thoughts on what things you need to set up a Floyd properly, or links to what they consider a definitive guide, please share!

Been thinking of going up to 10s from the stock 9s and heard it can be challenging!
    Before you change strings...stack some cards and place them at the rear of the bridge...This way when you get the new strings on,the vibrato system will be more stable and it won't take as long to tune up...You don't want the bridge to lean back and touch the body....Change 1 string at a time also!

Stretch the heck outta of the new strings and keep tuning while leaving the locking nut unlocked...Once the strings and the floyd seem to settle in...Adjust all of the fine tuners to mid positions,get the guitar in tune and then lock down the nut...Expect the Low E and maybe the A to go a bit sharp upon locking the tuner down...Once the strings settle in,your guitar will stay in tune regardless of heavy dumping of the Floyd....I Like a Floyd to float off the body so that the bridge is straight across while looking at the bridge side.

These days I'm very much a vintage strat bridge player,but I still do have one 80s strat that has the original floyd on it...
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Lots of YouTube stuff also that will help if needed...Watching is always better for me than reading...

Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

The 2 most helpful tips I can give really make a difference for me. One somewhat mirrors what stratdeluxer said. I use a ruler 8-12 wrapped in a polish cloth under the back of my floyd to keep it level. This makes a big difference then trying to get it back level once its dropped down in. Plus, if you arent changing string guage, once you tighten the strings back up to where the brigde is level when you remove the ruler, you are almost there..

Next, I start my strings from the tuning keys. I pull the string thru the key post hole until the ball end rests on the post, then wrap the string around a couple of times and then run it down to the ridge, just a bit past the slot were you insert and then cut it off. Insert, thighten, tune. I find 3 benefits to this. You only have to cut the string once. It doesnt slip at the post cuz its held buy the ball. And, almost every time Ive ever broken a string with a floyd, its been at the floyd. If you leave a couple of extra winds on the peg, if you snap a string at the floyd, let some string out, clamp it down and tune..

Hope that helps
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
        X