NGD got me an LP...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD got me an LP...

I went to Candyman's Strings and Things in Santa Fe today and played several guitars. I went ahead and bought the one that played and sounded the best.

Can you guess what it is?

More pics to come...
    Last edited by Kac; 02-29-2012, 09:44 PM.
    ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
    2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
    Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Re: NGD got me an LP...

Peavey SC-2

Basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. Cheap and effective.

Comment

Congratulations and enjoy!! I never would have guessed from the first picture that it was a Peavey. I probably would have said an LTD.

Comment

Whoo Whoo Whoo...Grammar Police on scene.

"An" is only to be used before vowels.
        i.e. I got [an] excellent guitar.
        i.e. I am [an] amazing singer.

Just because the abbreviation for Les Paul, L.P. is pronounced "El Pee" does not justify the use of "An"

Basically, the correct thread title should've been:
        NGD got me [a] LP...

Basically, what I'm really trying to say is congratulations on an awesome new axe!
        AccountKiller

Comment

EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Congrats on the gee-tar!

Originally posted by 9unslin9er View Post

Just because the abbreviation for Les Paul, L.P. is pronounced "El Pee" does not justify the use of "An"

NGD got me [a] LP...

Basically, what I'm really trying to say is congratulations on an awesome new axe!
            When pronounced, the letter "L" begins with a vowel. So "an LP" is very much acceptable, as long as you say "ell pee," not "Les Paul."

The use of "an" here is one of two correct ways to write it, the other being with "a." What really determines the correctness or incorrectness here is not whether "a" or "an" is used in writing, but how one speaks/reads the title. There are a few ways to read/pronounce abbreviations. You can pronounce the entire phrase that the abbreviation stands for (read "LP" and say "Les Paul"). You can pronounce the abbreviation letter by letter (read "LP" and say "ell pee"). Or you can pronounce the abbreviation as if it was a word itself (which probably would not work in this case, as the possibilities are too numerous; elp, lip, lap, lop, etc. An example that works would be "NORAD.").

When written, the use of either "a" or "an" before an abbreviation can help tell us which of these ways the writer wants us to read/pronounce it. "LP" is pronounced, "ell-pee" if "an" is used before it. It is pronounced, "Les Paul" if "a" is used before it.

Again, it is not how "LP" is written that must jive with the "a" or the "an," because they both work in writing. It is how it is pronounced that must jive.

If the grammar police had anything to say, it should have been about "got me." It's not only incorrect use of the word "me," but the subject ("I") is not stated, only implied. (Very much acceptable in informal writing IMO.) Also, there was no punctuation after "NGD," making it a run-on. A semicolon or even a long dash would take care of that well enough.

Anyhow, no big deal. I am just razzin' you, man.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-27-2012, 10:42 PM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

You know, now that we're on the topic, I've noticed the SD forums are extremely faithful to proper English.

You rarely see "dis pickup iz teh suxorz"

I applaud all the SD brothers. We all had proper schooling, and also have chips on our shoulders.
              AccountKiller

Comment

Yes; it really is not bad here in that respect!

Beers for all!
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I think the overt and biting sarcasm that follows from poor posts is warning enough!

Nice guitar BTW

What pickups???

Comment

NGD got me [a] LP...

Hey this has been debated for many years: 'hour'. 'An hour' or 'a hour'. What's your explanation on that?

Comment

You know, now that we're on the topic, I've noticed the SD forums are extremely faithful to proper English.

You rarely see "dis pickup iz teh suxorz"

I applaud all the SD brothers. We all had proper schooling, and also have chips on our shoulders.
                      There is a guy here who keep writing 'paid' as 'payed'. I think he's that Strat head from Florida, with his picture holding a blue strat. I forgot his name. It bewilders me to see native speakers fall behind on grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                        What pickups???
                        Stock alnico humbuckers. It's been a while since I had a HB equipped guitar... I'll probably work with these for a while and end up trying to get some Seth's in there for something different.

Comment

Sweetnes, man. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by verbotenco View Post
                            There is a guy here who keep writing 'paid' as 'payed'. I think he's that Strat head from Florida, with his picture holding a blue strat. I forgot his name. It bewilders me to see native speakers fall behind on grammar.
                            he's from Florida so English isn't his first language
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                              he's from Florida so English isn't his first language
                              LMAO.

Also, "h" is used as a silent vowel in "hour" pronounced "our" so the use of "an" is appropriate, kind of like "an el pee...wait nevermind..."
                              AccountKiller

Comment

Working...
                              X