100 Dollar Guitar Bargian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 Dollar Guitar Bargian

So last night I met the forum brother Sanford . he's the Bass player for the local band "Monkeysoup", and has worked with Terry Bozzio and Micheal Angelo Battio.
    He Sold me his "SX Callisto" Chinese made 2x P90 guitar for a hundred bones. I got it home and just spent the last 5 hours tearing it down, cleaning it and I oiled the fretboard . I leveled the frets with this fret leveling tool I got.
    I installed some old Schallers that for some reason have made the journey of time and space with me and that Ive had for about 35 years.
    I stuck a Duncan P90 in the bridge, and adjusted the trussrod.
    Now, this guitar is a 139.00 guitar, and i think shipping is another 20 or so.
    I gotta tell you. This thing is just amazing! It flat out blows doors. The Duncan in the bridge imparts a great sound to the bridge and middle position, although I'd like to have something a little hotter eventually.
    The neck pickup has lots of grit and grind.
    If you are handy with setting up guitars, and can make a few upgrades, the guitar and play real well. Sure, youre gonna know it aint a Gibson, but still, its got low action and plays pretty fast.
    I'd say run , don't walk to grab one of these little suckers for 150 bucks.
    The trick here is that P90's do so well in a Mahogany guitar thats just light and has a lot of acoustic nature, and don't really need the whole Gibson Les Paul thing to sound bright and snappy and with lots of fat punch and snarl. Now Humbuckers in this guitar would blow goats... this cheap guitar and the wood is just not complex or deep enough in nature to bring out the best in those .

Last edited by MetalManiac; 02-27-2012, 11:07 PM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: 100 Dollar Guitar Bargian

Some of my favorite guitars have been "Asian junk."

A couple years back, I was visiting Shanghai, China and stumbled into the music district. They had all these bootleg Ibanez Jems and Gibson Zakk Wylde models but at astronomical prices.

In the back room of this place was a starter Epiphone kit. It was an Epiphone "Invader." A "Junior" model for the Asian market. I picked it up for about $120 and threw in a Dean Mountain of Tone. It's my main guitar overseas!
    AccountKiller

Comment

Can't beat that with a stick! Congrats.

Comment

Congrats!
        It's amazing how these cheap asian built guitars can be turned into above average with a little work.
        " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Comment

Working...
        X