Compare GHS Boomers To D'Addario XLs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Compare GHS Boomers To D'Addario XLs

Whats with the knives under the fingers? I've never experienced that? Girly finger tips? ;o)
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

GHS feels like I am placing my finger on a sharp, hard edge, rather than a nice string....hence, knife edge! LOL
      One nice thing about Boomers is they last forever.

Comment

boomers have lasted me usually twice as long as EBs. Love the EB tone but they die on me in a week.
        I don't like d'addario that much. They feel kinda stiff to me. I feel like I have to try harder while bending them.

also, I agree that boomers have a sound that is best for balancing bright guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
          boomers have lasted me usually twice as long as EBs. Love the EB tone but they die on me in a week.
          I don't like d'addario that much. They feel kinda stiff to me. I feel like I have to try harder while bending them.

also, I agree that boomers have a sound that is best for balancing bright guitars.
          I find the stiffness issues with the Fender strings....A set of Fender .009s feels like a D'Addario .010 set....I find the D'addario easier to bend on..Same with the EB Rock N Roll strings.
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul View Post
            GHS feels like I am placing my finger on a sharp, hard edge, rather than a nice string....hence, knife edge! LOL
            One nice thing about Boomers is they last forever.
            Yeah thats weird? Never had that when I used Boomers,and I used them for many years back in the early 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
              I find the stiffness issues with the Fender strings....A set of Fender .009s feels like a D'Addario .010 set....I find the D'addario easier to bend on..Same with the EB Rock N Roll strings.
              I love bends on EB slinkies. Feels "just right".
              And yeah fenders feel pretty stiff. I used to use Fender Pure Nickels for a while because I got a bunch of em for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                I love bends on EB slinkies. Feels "just right".
                And yeah fenders feel pretty stiff. I used to use Fender Pure Nickels for a while because I got a bunch of em for cheap.
                If the the Fender ones are the 150s,those are the ones I was talking about...I can't stand Fender strings and I'm a diehard Fender guy(guitars)...

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                  If the the Fender ones are the 150s,those are the ones I was talking about...I can't stand Fender strings and I'm a diehard Fender guy(guitars)...
                  Fender changed thier "formula" a short time ago. They are more like D'ad's now, even have the color coded ball ends. If you have not tried them yet, you may like them.

Fender® Reintroduces Pure Nickel and Nickel-Plated Steel Electric Guitar Strings

Comment

Originally posted by gOgIver View Post
                    Fender changed thier "formula" a short time ago. They are more like D'ad's now, even have the color coded ball ends. If you have not tried them yet, you may like them.

Fender® Reintroduces Pure Nickel and Nickel-Plated Steel Electric Guitar Strings
                    Awesome...Thanks for the info! D'Addario making them for Fender? Actually I mentioned that I didn't like the Fender 150s because they were stiffer than the D'Addarios using the same gauge..
                    Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 02-28-2012, 06:50 PM.

Comment

I love D'Addario XL flat wounds
                      BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
                      Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
                      Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
                      Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
                      Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
                      Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
                      Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
                      Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
                      Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
                      Gibson EBO

Comment

I've always found D'Addario's way too bright, and that I had to play with them a week before they sounded somewhat right, then two days later they were dull and lifeless. Chords sounds absolutely terrible with them (too metalic), but I guess a lead player would like them much better.

GHS Boomers on the other hand sound perfect right out of the box and can last me weeks before dying (depending on how much I play them). I now put GHS Boomers on every electric guitar I own.

As for breaking, I can't remember ever breaking a string since I switched to GHS. D'Addario on the other hand, I remember breaking strings very often (And not just the smaller strings but the bigger strings too).

Comment

Boomers = great

D'Adarios = cr@p

sorry for the long-winded analysis but i needed to illustrate clearly the reality.
                          Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Short version

Ghs=nasty bright tinny tone with higher tension that lasts for a long time.
                            Dadxl= lower tension strings with sratchy harsh tone that takes awhile to break in and smooth out.
                            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I put the D'Addarios back on...Intonation is perfect...Still my favorites...Fixed! Thx all...

Comment

I am thinking Dunlop to test out because a buddy said they are amazing.

Also thinking GHS Low Tune!!!
                                GHS Low Tune Boomers Guitar Strings Gauge: .011 .015 .019 .033 .043 .053

Or D'Addario 11-56 although the 14 and 19 could be hell for bends. The 32-44-56 will be great for lack of buzzing when I gig and play aggressively.
                                http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetai ... oductid=26

D'Addario says...
                                Hybrid gauges optimized for "D" tuning, one whole step down
                                Round wound with nickelplated steel for distinctive bright tone
                                Environmentally friendly, corrosion resistant packaging for strings that are always fresh
                                Made in the U.S.A. for the highest quality and performance
                                String Gauges: Plain Steel .011, .014, .019, Nickel Wound .032, .044, .056

Maybe I should go custom gauges and order single strings but it is more expensive. I used to do that.
                                My dream set would be 10-13-17-30-42-54. That would give me the most comfort in bending while get rid of buzzing with a half step down on the wound strings. Plus, the 54 will handle drop C# well.

10-46 are like rubber bands buzzing away in Eb, especially down to C#. Yikes.

I had this problem before.....the plain strings are fine. It is the wound strings. I find heavier is way better!!!!

Boomers used to be my go-to string so I might give another shot, maybe the Low Tunes.

Comment

Working...
                                X