took a trip to guitar center today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• took a trip to guitar center today

Sure makes me appreciate the guitars i already have. From $300, up to 2500, i handled alot of junk today. And it wasnt setup issues . Essy to to tell when something is just not made all that well or are cutting corners that should not be cut.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

From your email it sounds like there was more cutting than just corners. LOL

Comment

Re: took a trip to guitar center today

I don't think I've ever played a new guitar in a Guitar Center that I actually liked.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
        I don't think I've ever played a new guitar in a Guitar Center that I actually liked.
        Until it's setup for your specific needs...Most of the time the action is too low for my tastes and the height of the strings at the nut are too high...And this is even before plugging something into an amp....And a lefty at that! ;o)
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
          From your email it sounds like there was more cutting than just corners. LOL
          Yeah i sliced a finger open on some great fretwork from Fender. And speaking of frets, i am.convinced in another 10 years most asian import guitars wont even come with them. Just take the new guitar in and get it fretted with what you like that is actually larger than the toothpicks they try to pass off as frets now.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
            Yeah i sliced a finger open on some great fretwork from Fender. And speaking of frets.
            I suspect that's sarcasm? Otherwise, I don't believe you and want pics

Comment

Sure makes me appreciate the guitars i already have. From $300, up to 2500, i handled alot of junk today. And it wasnt setup issues . Easy to to tell when something is just not made all that well or are cutting corners that should not be cut.
              Amen Brother! I've been in Guitar Center, Music Go Round and several Pawn Shops over the last couple of days...old and new guitars alike...I didn't find a single LP that played/felt as good as the one I already have.
              MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
              1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
              1988 Kramer Nightswan
              1989 Charvel Sambora
              2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
              Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
              Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Sure makes me appreciate the guitars i already have. From $300, up to 2500, i handled alot of junk today. And it wasnt setup issues . Essy to to tell when something is just not made all that well or are cutting corners that should not be cut.
                I played a used Gibby Explorer(unplugged).
                My Epi destroyed it,unplugged(livelier!),and action/tension-wise...
                $850 my ass...

& a used (but clean) YJM Strat,MIJ for a grand?

I hardly ever play the new stuff anymore.
                Nothing really makes me wanna play it,but I would like to check out one of FR LPs...
                "Scalloped & Stickered"
                A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

I buy strippers off ebay and rebuild them to my own specs. Very rarely can i justify a sticker price on something, since im probably going to rip into it anyway.
                  Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

Man, you guys are scaring me. When my bonus arrives in a few weeks I'm planning a trip to GC to get one or two better guitars than what i have now -- meaning an American Strat or a real Gibson. Should I beware???
                    Being cool is knowing when to let things slide.

Comment

Those are the 2 companies i will not buy from brand new, partly out of principle. Theyve both become ******* companies with inconsistent quality. If i were going to buy brand new guitars, they would be ESP or PRS.
                      Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodGrain67 View Post
                        Man, you guys are scaring me. When my bonus arrives in a few weeks I'm planning a trip to GC to get one or two better guitars than what i have now -- meaning an American Strat or a real Gibson. Should I beware???
                        I'd say beware. I've played one electric in the last few years that I would even think about buying there. I always play the low end Taylors when I go and they're awesome. Other than that, I hate everything at GC.
                        Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                        H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
                        Originally posted by jcthejester13
                        I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot View Post
                          I suspect that's sarcasm? Otherwise, I don't believe you and want pics
                          Not sarcasm, just exaggeration. No stitches needed but i did draw some blood when i grabbed some fender jagfagstangmaster whatever off the rack by the neck. The fret ends had not been filed down through the entire length of the neck on both sides.

Comment

Not sarcasm, just exaggeration. No stitches needed but i did draw some blood when i grabbed some fender jagfagstangmaster whatever off the rack by the neck. The fret ends had not been filed down through the entire length of the neck on both sides.
                            I'd say that they were, but they used green wood that shrank since the fretwork was done.

I'd be really worried about having a warped neck with one of these.

I still find guitars at GC - a 1988 Model 6 LOL! It was not the best deal at $500 with case, but it was in great shape, no dents or dings, Blood Red with black hardware looked sweet. Much better than most of the new junk out there.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodGrain67 View Post
                              You will absolutely find a great guitar.

But buy with your hands and your ears. Ignore the set up and think about the potential. Be willing to say "no" if it does not feel and sound and LOOK perfect.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X