Just snagged a new axe....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just snagged a new axe....

Just bought a new(er) Strat. I was gonna buy a Les Paul Classic, but after some gut-wrenching soul searching I found I had a greater need for a recorder, and since I was going to spend a grand or so on the LP, I decided to treat myself to my dream Strat. An '02 American Standard with a nice sunburst finish.
    Dig it.....

I should have it in my hands in about a week. Can't wait....

Re: Just snagged a new axe....

That's a beauty Bob. Nice finish on that one. I want to own a sunburst strat someday, they're just so classic. Hope it's everything you've dreamed of....now what pups are you going to put in it?
    My Sound Clips

Comment

Thanks, Jeff!
      Well....I still have that Lil '59 bridge pickup I bought from you a few months ago. And, I scored an Antiquity neck p.u. for a good price a while back, too. I have an old Japanese neck pup that came out of my 60's RI that has a nice vibe to it that would probably work nice in the middle position.
      That's plan A at this point. I really want to just play it first and hear what everything sounds like.
      And yes, that finish is what epitomizes a Strat to me. It's what I've always wanted, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's all that and more when I get it in my hands.
      Last edited by midnite_man; 04-05-2004, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Sweet, bro. Wondered where you went. Had to hide out for all that gut wrenching. How was Juliano's Pizza?
        Originally posted by Scott_F
        On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Hey Matt!
          Yeah, no doubt....lol. It was tough. I kept playing my Epi LP, and playing the Schecter, and I just was finding it hard to justify a Gibson just for the name. I did pull the trigger on a couple of Gibby's on ebay but was outbid quickly. I kept refusing to go over $12 c-notes for ones that I wanted.
          So I decided to get me a recorder, and a Strat. I'm still working on the recorder (made up my mind, and am going to get a Fostex VF-160), but the Strat will make an excellent addition to the arsenal, and will probably become my #1.

Rock On
          Last edited by midnite_man; 04-05-2004, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Someday I gotta get me a Strat. The collection ain't complete without one.... and a 335, and a 375, and a Wes Montgomery, and a PRS, and a....... Okay, so I'll never be done... is that so bad???
            On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

damn man, tahts a nice finish! i love strats, my favorite guitars....
              esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
              fender mim standard strat
              peavey classic 30
              johnson j-station
              original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
              dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
              yamaha f-310p acoustic
              taylor 410 acoustic
              "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Very nice axe! Best of luck with it. Do you plan on changing the pickups?
                -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
                Vox VT15
                Washburn D10SCE
                Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt
                  Someday I gotta get me a Strat. The collection ain't complete without one.... and a 335, and a 375, and a Wes Montgomery, and a PRS, and a....... Okay, so I'll never be done... is that so bad???

Thanks Xerxes and StratTom!
                  LOL....yeah, I know what you're talkin about. I'd like to have the same guitar that all my favorite artists have ever played.
                  As far as replacing any pickups go, I have a few things in mind with some SD's I've had sittin on my shelf for awhile; a Lil '59/b and an Antiquity Texas Hot/neck. Probably use the stock neck pup in the middle position. But I'll play whatever comes with the guitar first. They're supposed to be the new "hot" Fender pickups that are being put into the newer Strats at the factory.
                  I wanted a newer model also for the fact that the body is routed for H-S-H (I wanted as much wood as possible, avoiding the "swimming pool" rout-job in many Strat bodies up to the late 90's. From about '99 or '00 All Fender American Standards come with H-S-H routing), in case I ever want to put a full humbucker in at any of those positions. I predict somewhere down the road that I'll probably end up with a Custom or C-5 down there at the bridge to really make this axe scream on some solos.
                  That's the cool thing about a Strat. You can do so much with one in regards to pickup combinations and wiring configurations, and all.
                  IMO the Strat is the most versatile guitar made, kind of a jack-of-all-trades. But in some ways a master of none. But I luv 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt
                    I don't know Matt...you've got a few guns in your holster by the looks of your profile, 'bro. I'll bet that Jackson screams, as well (of course) as the Les Paul.
                    Mmmmm (in my best Homer Simpson improv)....Les Paul....Marshall stack.....

Comment

Heck, all you guys do!!

Comment

I bet that strat is going to sound extra sweet through that DRRI.

Is this the same Bob I did that deal with? Jeez, I can't keep up with all the new handles.

With respect to recorders, I highly recommend the Boss BR 864. They've realy done it right and it records in easy to convert formats. I can't speak highly enough of them.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I bet that strat is going to sound extra sweet through that DRRI.

Is this the same Bob I did that deal with? Jeez, I can't keep up with all the new handles.

With respect to recorders, I highly recommend the Boss BR 864. They've realy done it right and it records in easy to convert formats. I can't speak highly enough of them.
                          Yup, Scott, that'd be me. When the forum went through it's dramatic metamorphis and swept some innocent bystanders along the way such as myself into the dark dismal abyss of "Thread/Post-Inferno," I decided what the heck - might as well start over with something new. And yup again, I'm sure this Strat will sound exceptionally good thru that DR.
                          On the DRRI, I ended up snipping the C10 cap which did curb the brightness noticeably, and also am currently trying to break in that Jensen C12N RI I bought a few months back but wasn't thrilled about. I've had it wired to my home stereo for the last couple of days trying to loosen it up. It might make it's way back into the DRRI cab sometime soon for another go if it gets it's act together. We'll see.
                          Thanks for the tip on the Boss recorder. I'll check into them.

Cheers!

Bob
                          Last edited by midnite_man; 04-06-2004, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Nice Grab, Bob. She sure looks like a sweetie !!!
                            Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Thanks, Rob!
                              You don't know how close I came to owning your Les Paul, 'bro. Very nice axe. I saw a few nice ones out there, but I had to run a check on my priorities, and in the long run still was able to salvage a dream come true with my first American Strat.

Now to find that digital recorder.

Comment

Working...
                              X